General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By JohnAWESOME
#235783 OK I am a noob and I am going to change my timing belt and tensioner and the book says to put everything in a certin positon. Cant I just leave everything where it is and pull one off and slide the new one on?
By Eg6H2D
#235847 what they mean issssss put everything at TDC ( Top dead Center) that is piston #1 which is the one next to the timing belt, at it's highest most position. This is done because when you take the timing belt off the cam gears might shift a little bit and it will be off timing and possibly not start up.

When you know you placed the engine at TDC you know it has moved and know how to place it back. Everyhting lined up. Now what engine do you have?

if you look at TEAL's DIY section you'll see what is meant by TDC.. it just helps you be fk up proof.
:thumb:
By Butterzz
EG6b20R wrote:it will be off timing and possibly not start up.

I'd like to point out that it will start when it's off timing. And it'll growl and grumble because you'll be on the compression stroke before the intake valves have closed. I've done it before.
By Eg6H2D
#235952 Aslo your crank pulley has to come off in order for it to "slide" off the bottom. it'll be about a good day's work and while your at it change the water pump too. it's part of the changing of the timing belt job.. 4 bolts take that out..
By JohnAWESOME
#236018 Hey thanks guys I changed it out old one was way past due. A little streched out and looked worn. The crank pulley bolt is problly what took the longest to get.
By Eg6H2D
JohnAWESOME wrote:Hey thanks guys I changed it out old one was way past due. A little streched out and looked worn. The crank pulley bolt is problly what took the longest to get.

:thumb: