General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By doubskie
#235120 i recently bought a real cheap ebay axleback muffler and it doesnt sound bad. but obviously it doesnt sound amazing. i knew when i bought it that it wasnt gonna be anything amazing, i was actually expecting a lot worse that what i got. but its just temporary.

one of my buddies has a stock vr6 motor in his '00 GTI with a magnaflow exhaust and it produces one of the most beautiful sounds i have ever heard come out of a car.

so my question is...how much, if any, does the actual motor matter when playing around with and changing the tone of your exhaust?
im not talking about any fully built or upgraded turbo motors or anything like that. just stock motors.

and also, when it comes to playing around with tone, what about replacing your cat converter with just a resonator? a lot of people do it but im not sure.
does it sound good?
hows the performance?
etc.
By chrono404
#235123 you can make a nice deep exhaust tone with resanators and a turbo muffler. however unless you put in a v6 swap your car still wont sound like a vr6.

Adding a Header(s) and a decat(testpipe) will change how your exhaust sounds. Normally making it sound deeper, as well as giving you better performance.
By si-b16
#235126 I Just swapped on a magnaflow street series muffler, i had a cheap fart cannon before and that sounded like shit + too loud for a daily.

I'd recommend the magnaflow exhaust, they do sound great n smooth and the price ain't that bad either.
By Flatland_EG
#235132 If your looking for a deeper sound you usually want a chambered muffler, the oval shaped ones.
I've also heard that the mugen style twin loop mufflers are pretty nice sounding as well.

Here's a 1.5 mini-me with a twin loop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36LQ7n3uqE&feature=related
Here's an EG with a D16 and an Apexi WS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUaQsu_sdHU&feature=related
Another D16 but with a Magnaflow exhaust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apII9BzNa_g&feature=related
By Eg6H2D
#235964 ^^^ what he said

chambered mufflers offer the best in sound. not loud and annoying. any straight through designed muffler, a muffler you can see right through, is generally a loud attention catcher..

anything with the inlet part and outlet part not align straight usually has a S or Z type pathway inside and that's what you want for a nice quiet non BAAAAAAAHHHHH tone. =] Apexi World Sport id say is awesome hands down as im an owner of the NOIR series.. only gets a bit louder upon full throttle.. another that is awesome is the Greddy SE spectrum Elite. soo quiet.. these full exhaust already have resonators made into the system. keep or removing your factory cat like Chrono mentioned above changes the tone and performance..

Hands Down i love my Apexi WS NOIR!!

:hehe: :woot: :thumb:
By Flatland_EG
#235988 I had an Apexi WS on my old accord and I loved it, I wish I had taken it off before I got rid of it.
The only downside is it's a little spendy, I paid $200 just for the muffler but I thought it was well worth it.
The noir series is also great, the flat black paint makes them less eye catching, especially if your going for a low profile.
By Eg6H2D
EGg OH! wrote:I had an Apexi WS on my old accord and I loved it, I wish I had taken it off before I got rid of it.
The only downside is it's a little spendy, I paid $200 just for the muffler but I thought it was well worth it.
The noir series is also great, the flat black paint makes them less eye catching, especially if your going for a low profile.

That's the reason i got it!!! :thumb: