General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By 92lhdsiconvo
#233170 no matter what i do my car will not idle down. I have a 92 dx with d16z6. The upper rad hose is getting warm and the heater lines also are getting warm but the lower hose and the iac are cold to the touch. If the thermostat is bad will it cause the iac to not work properly
By myegcoupe
#233261 I would check to make sure you dont have a vacuum problem, The car will run in a close loop and dump fuel when its cold but it will heat up in a few minutes of driving even if coolant isnt circulating properly.
By 92lhdsiconvo
#233317 the temp reads normal on the guage and does not overheat but it will not come out of high idle. I have driven the car about 45 miles in one trip and still the same symptoms. Do not understand please help.
By myegcoupe
#233367 Idle the car and spray carb cleaner around the intake gasket and throttle body gasket, if it changes the idle speed then you have a bad gasket. Check the condition your vacuum hoses too and make sure there routed correctly if you've done work on the car.
By egjoshb18c
#233372 check you timing also too advance timing can have i idle to high or try the idle screw on your tb
By 92lhdsiconvo
#233386 i dont understand why a vacuum leak would cause the water not to flow through the iac but it is fine with no vaacuum leaks i have sprayed the im with carb cleaner. I have also turned the idle screw all the way in and all the way out and doesnt make that much of a difference. It also does not fix the prob.
By myegcoupe
#233484 I just suggested you check the other gaskets/hoses to rule out a air leak. The iac should be controlled by an ecu signal based on air flow, I dont believe coolant temp effects this. It could be sticking, have you taken it off and checked it?
By lsvbeghatch
#233787 pull your iacv and clean the shit out of it take your thermostat out and put it in a pan of water on your stove it should start opening right before it boils, in cold temps the lowe radiator hose closer to the radiator will be cold to touch grab it up at the thermostat housing.. but my assumption would be your iacv or ficv( big maybe on the ficv ) or your idle screw is out to far or like said before your dizzy could be advanced but start with the iacv first.
By 92lhdsiconvo
#235446 took the iac off and cleaned the shit out of it. also took the high idle and the tb and cleaned them. Guess what it idles at 800 still wont pass smog with bad o2 though getting ready to change that before smog tomarrow.
By teal_dx
#235448 I'd replace the o2 before trying to diagnose anything on the car. Your ecu isn't going to send the right amount of fuel to your engine if the o2 is bad and that will make it hard to trouble shoot other issues. o2 = one of the most important sensors :thumb:
By 92lhdsiconvo
#236150 ok well got the car smogged finally and it was not because of the o2 senser. The timing was a couple degrees advanced but not enough to hurt either. The ecu was chipped with a skunk2 chip and not a very good tune from the previous owner so i put a doner ecu from my smog techs hatch and wallah passed first time and idle is where it is supposed to be. Tuners in my area are hard to find so virgin p28 is what has to be. Thanks for the help.