General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By EJ1STYLEN
#232299 What's up guys my friend need help on his 91 civic si with a d16a6. The problem started when he Was on the freeway on ramp going 45mph suddenly it just lost power like it ran out of gas, but it still had half a tank of gas. So he pop the clutch to gain power, gained a little power again but then lost power again like it ran out gas. No cel came on nor any warning sign. So I'm thinking it could be a fuel relates problem. But again I would like to hear from you guys what the problem could be...thanks
By asianrob
#232317 does it sputter? it might be a clogged fuel filter. any leaks on the fuel system?

are you able to give a little more info?
By EJ1STYLEN
#232582 Well finally got to look at the car, it was the timing belt. So now I was wondering is there a diy on what to do or how to put new timing belt...
By suspendedHatch
#233047 If the timing belt broke you need to pull off the head and look for bent valves. Then you'll need a new head gasket, new head bolts, and have the surfaces cleaned. You should also do the water pump and tensioner. For the cost and trouble you're better off importing a used replacement engine since you can get them for $500.
By EJ1STYLEN
#233161 Oh ok..so when i take off the head do i first put it on TDC? And then i could take the head off right? I got a spare head so if anything is bent from the head then ill just replace it with me spare head. When i put on my spare head how do i know timing is right?
By asianrob
#233319 putting it at TDC will help you out alot.
By myegcoupe
#233371 Repair manuals are cheaper then a new motor. Plus it gives you step by step instructions to change the head and reset the timing.
By suspendedHatch
#233379 You got a spare head but did you price out the head bolts? You should get ARP head studs since they cost about the same as new OEM.
By myegcoupe
#233382 He's right, new headbolts are good insurance.