General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By tnovelli
#230906 my battery reads about 13-14 volts when car is off when it actually starts it reads 13 and can drop lower i have a problem when driving all accesories get dim tach and spedo go to zero and car will die but after i wait a little bit it will start and have to get it home batter recovers it self every time to around 14 volts i already put a alternator in about 2 months ago cant figure this on out at all very stumped need help its my daily driver yes its a 5speed need help yes it will crank but it will act like its dead but battery reads around 13 and acts like its dead and when it does start it will run for a bit then die please help thanks lots
By sk8killa180
#230913 you probably have a mojor short some were thats sucking all your power when the car is on but that wouldnt explain why the battery regains stranght? just a guess
By tnovelli
#230922 yea thats what i thought ive already cleaned battery terminals its a new battery and i cleaned my grounds to i just took the alternator out im gona get it tested from where i got it from and see if maybe it went bad cus its a rebuilt anyone else have suggetions also replaced main relay already ill let you know how it tests tomorrow thanks
By 1ATony
#231173 welcome to the site
By ExCoupe94
#231179 If your belt is tensioned correctly double check your chassy to motor grounds they tend to die after 16 years
By tnovelli
#231315 yea i know the tensions right it seems to be charging fine now i recharged the batter and no problem there but it will still cut out after running or if u gun it a little and yes i cleaned the grounds up already
By ExCoupe94
#231322 voltage is dropping at the battery terminals when the car is on?
measure again cept this time ground the meter on the motor not the battery if you read improved voltage redo your grounds again. if your still reading a dropped voltage (Carefully!) check again with the terminals of your voltmeter directly on the alternator output (the big lonely one) and a good grounded spot on the motor, voltage should be slightly higher. if not your alt is bad
if voltage IS slightly higher swap the ground on the the motor for the neg battery terminal if your still reading improved voltage than either your 4gauge wire from your alt to your fuse box needs to be redone or the fuse for your alt has gone bad (70amp)
lemme know what happens :thumb:
By tnovelli
#231522 the voltage seems fine now i did replace the positive battery lead but it will run for a bit then it might cut out or it might not the other day it cut out while driving i gunned it a little it ent to 4 grand then shut off and when i restarted it the idle was fluctuating around 1000-1500 then leveld off and the car died restarted it and it didnt wana until i primed the fuel pump like 3 times im thinken fuel pump i already did the main relay im also sellling the car but after the problem is fixed let me know if any one is intersted
By tnovelli
#231684 ok so it will run i put a new fuel pump but still will randomly shut off seemed like lights inside and out were dim then in first gear went to 4 grand they got brighter i already did the alternator and i even took it out and had it tested they said it was good putting out 14 volts neeed help i need to fix my car fast does anyone know whats going on please thanks
By 1ACarlos
#232699 Welcome to the site
By tnovelli
#232796 ok so i fixed it and it was the icm and now it idles fine no problems dosent shut off but it only revs to 3000 or so but after its warmed up and been driven it goes past 3000 perfectly like its supposed to any idea i already checked timmming
By 94EJ2
#234971 my d15 was doing the randomly shut down thing i just replace the fuel main relay and it runs fine again
By tnovelli
#235095 yea i changed the icm and it stays running fine but wont go past 3 grand it did it right after i put the icm in and i already replaced my main relay also has a hard time starting and slight hesitiation when driving until completley warmed up then it goes past 3 grand easily and runs perfect
By tnovelli
#235101 yea thats what im thinking but i dont really wana put one in cus i just put that icm in which is in the ditributor and it cost me 94$ for it and im just trying to sell the car i got more into it than i want theres alot of other parts i have in it to