General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By LaosToaster
#228642 so im kinda stuck here i need some feedback on this, im having problems on how to install the my cat converter flange to the header flange, it wont bolt up flat witout doing some cutting. :eh:

magnaflow cat converter. it has detachable flares with clamps on them, they wont fit over the header pipe, in other words its the same diameter as the header pipe. i didnt want to go to a muffler shop and waste $100 for them to weld it all for me. i cant drive the car to any shop anyways too.

should i try to cut off the header pipe to the flange so my cat converter flange will bolt flush? OR should i cut off the header pipe AND that one surface of the flange that sticks out? if i do that id figured it will bolt up flat. what do u guys think?

off topic but what is this metal bracket thing suppose to be? :?

ive never installed a complete exhaust before so anything would help thanks :)
By blk92hb
#228643 dont cut the header you are supose to have a donut gasket that goes on the header thats why it has that lip on it.
By LaosToaster
#228645 thanks guys :) , i have the 1st gen b16. are u sure autozone or other places would have a 2.5" donut gasket?? the pipe is 2.5 inches

and its a cheapo ebay header.
By LaosToaster
#228650 i dont have an old one to compare :( [smilie=BangHead.gif] i guess ima have to jus do trial and error. unless i just bring my header and cat converter to them. :|
By LaosToaster
#228656 so it should look something like this huh (not my picture) its from an integra

on the forum i got this pic from he said he had to cut a bit off the header pipe side cuz the flare didnt meet up with the donut gasket.
By LaosToaster
#229243 ok so i bought the donut gasket that fits my headers, i installed my whole exhuast system, its really exhausting installing it urself. but i got it done in 2 hours.

i have a question though. when i was running my car to check for any leaks, it doesnt seem like i do have an exhaust leak but however there would be water dripping about every 5- 10 seconds from the flange bolting points. is that normal? or do i have a leak??
is there anything i should do? thanks in advance.
:)