General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By 93hatcheg
#221680 how do you tell if you need to replace your valve guides? my head is 100% bare besides the guides and want to check and see if they need replacing before i re-install everything. also the head is p72 obd1.

p.s. i googled it and didnt find shit lol
By 93hatcheg
#221814 anyone?? i mean someone must know right? do they go bad or are aftermarket ones just to have??
By Datsmart
#221860 Do they go bad?
Yes, just like any mechanical part on an engine, it can wear out.

How can you tell they are bad?
How many miles on the engine?
Does it have blue smoke at idle or light throttle?
Then if may be the value guides letting the lubricating oil get sucked into the combustion chamber.

Can't tell if the engine is torn down without some good mechanical measurements of the value stems and guides. General rule, if you are replacing values, replace the guides too.
By flyinryan122
#221902 Since you already have it that far apart, Might as well just take the extra step and replace them. I don't know what your plans are, or what valves you're putting in, but i like either OEM honda guides, or Supertech guides.
By 93hatcheg
#221929 well my plan was to reuse the stock valves and i bought new oem valve seals.

trying to keep the cost down ha, the machine shop wants 250 just regrind my valves and seats. ha im broke and it all was fine before i rebuilt the motor so i dont think it needs it. but i wanna be sure before i put the head on the block.

how much slop is supposed to be in the guide when the valve is in it?