General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By newbie101
#220367 Hey guys I am cleaning up my engine bay now that I have some time. The can does not say I have to cover electronics but I am going to anyways just to be safe. My question is should I cover the wires to spray the valve cover? Alternator, ecu and battery are the only things I can think of to cover.
By TrailerTrash
#220388 soak the engine bay with mean green and have at that sucker with the pressure washer. no need to worry about covering anything. i detailed cars for 5 years and did it that way on anything from s2ks to vettes to hummers and never had a problem.

just dont try and fire the car up right afterwards. give it a few hours to dry out
By FunctionX
#220390 i would also cover the primary o2 sensor
By newbie101
#220531 I already have a can of 3M engine degreaser that I got for free, so i'm just going to stick with that, although I have heard good things about Mean Green.

But my questions still was about the spark plug wires being covered or not. . .

FunctionX I didn't even think about that thanks!!! :thumb:
By {ikon}EM1
TrailerTrash wrote:no need to worry about covering anything.

What he said^^^
Just make sure that the spark plug wires r pluged in all the way...
And make sure when u do it that u don't soak the intake filter or else when u turn on the car its gonna have troble breathing.... if u do just wait till it drys and ur golden :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#220556 i just did this today.. you dont need to cover anything, jsut let it dry before staring like said above

and you can use a towel to wipe up the water too
By asianrob
#220566 i usually cover any open filters unless you plan on cleaning that too i dont use mean green but i hear it works nicely.
By MG6
#220643 are you doing this at your home? where will all the engine oil going? I hope it isn't to the sewer :eh:
By newbie101
#220672 [quote]are you doing this at your home? where will all the engine oil going? I hope it isn't to the sewer

I wouldn't know how to prevent it. Any suggestions? I would just put a bucket or tarp under it, but I wasn't really that concerned about it. How and where did you do it?