General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By 93hatcheg
#214313 ok so im rebuilding my gsr and want to make it look brand new! i have seen people paint there blocks after rebuilding and want to know what paint to use and how to prep the block for the paint. thanks guys
By ImThaBean
#214385 +2 on Duplicolor, and have seen good results with the VHT too.

By spotless, you want it so clean you'd lick it. Cause if you have a speck of dirt or oil/grease on it, the paint will lift in a hurry.
By MG6
#214416 you can use an air compressor to blow out any dirty as well. Just make sure your surface is clean. You can also go to your local HomeDepot or Lowe's to pick up a sticky cloth. They still them by the bag (bag = 1 or 2 small sheets). Great for prep work on anything you will paint on.
By 93hatcheg
#214436 so if i got some ebgine gunk and sprayed it, would it be a bad idea to pressure wash the block cause my buddy has a gas pressure washer that will blow that bitch spotless.

if i can should i leave the oil pan on and cover the deck?
By eg84dr
#214527 i just painted my block a few days ago
i used high temp primer from rustoleom and high temp paint from rustoleom as well
the trick is to take your time and do lots of light coats and by lots i mean like 5 or 6
i did 2 and called it a day i should have done more
By Wikedeye
#217498 Make sure the paint is for high temp applications.
By MG6
#217516 pressure washing the engine is a great idea, but be careful to not force too much pressure into the area you don't see as water can get itself into electrical or inside the engine.
By 93hatcheg
#217648 ha i didnt have to worry about pressuring any water into anything lol it was a bare block on the engine stand, and i mean straight bare
By MG6
#217661 just make sure you blow off all water to prevent rust. If you are going to pressure waah, you might want to clean it off with brake cleaner after the wash as the solution will dry the water where you don't know or see.
By teal_dx
#217678 our blocks are aluminum, so no need to worry about rust.
The only parts you need to watch are the sleeves and any steel fittings threaded into the block such as the oil filter.

Blow the block dry inside & out with a compressor if you have one, then let it sit in the sun for an afternoon.

Be sure to dry the sleeves right away and put a coat of oil or wd-40 or similar on them because they will start to surface rust right away. Same goes for bearings but you said the block was bare so the bottom end should be taken out.