General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Classiccarsrule85
#207773 So i have a new to me 1992 honda civic cx and i would like to go turbo with it well ive been thinking and i know i have d series on the brain but i do know there are other motors out there as well....

The main reason i would like to stay with the D is the transmissions are easy to find and I have the nice CG trans in my basement and well i do like the fact they are easy and relatively inexpensive so i mean thats one of the main reasons i wish to stay d series but here is the first question that will pretty much go after the rest of this post ......

Is it worth it to buy the kits that allow you to mate a d series transmission to lets say in this case B/F/H ??

i mean teh price is up there and for that price you could buy practically a drop in ls motor but what happens down teh road when the transmission goes up (I like to plan for just such an occasion....) well around where i live now they are hard to find everyone snatches them up from my junkyard and just stuff like that......And the only ones that are relatively decent (2nd or 3rd grind are still upwards of 2-300.....)and the ones that are good people are asking alot for and when i say alot i mean alot....about 450-800 while in d sereis land i can get a good ex trans for the cost of tops 100 or out of my junkyard for 75.......) ....

Price comparison
LS swap from Hmotors-2000.00 Plus shipping and handling.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc200 ... item=30007

Adapter kit from Bisimoto(dont know anyone else who makes them....)
ranges from 649 to 1078 im guessing even thou id use the cg cable trans id still get the Hydrolic kit since well yea itd be the best if something ever happened to the cg trans....
Thats about 719$
http://bisimoto.net/store/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=46

Now ive been researching deliberateing with myself about the whole thing and really i dont know if i should stick with a d series motor save up for a h series but then theres problems if one of the custom axels decides to fuck up seems to me like itd be a painful process to keep paying for custom axels thats where said H/D f/D kit comes in i can keep the civic axels the same....

but yea my other question would be what would you suggest to be the best motor swap or setup that is easily maintained as in it dosent cost a shitload if lets say the transmission goes and i know its every honda motor practically but id like something thats easy to work on as well i dont wish to have something stuffed under my hood and me unable to get to parts etc....
By teal_dx
#207793 I don't know about H or B tranny's but to fix 3rd gear grind in a D tranny is only a few hundred dollars. If they're all that price, why not get a tranny, fix it, and you'll have a fresh tranny that should last the life of your car (if you don't abuse the hell out of it)

They're simple to rebuild, I did it in my home garage without a real press. Links are in the DIY list.
By Classiccarsrule85
teal_dx wrote:I don't know about H or B tranny's but to fix 3rd gear grind in a D tranny is only a few hundred dollars. If they're all that price, why not get a tranny, fix it, and you'll have a fresh tranny that should last the life of your car (if you don't abuse the hell out of it)

They're simple to rebuild, I did it in my home garage without a real press. Links are in the DIY list.

guess i was confusing lol pretty much all d sereis transmissions i pick up are mint no grinds and low miles for that price of 75-100......its the b series that are expensive and h never looked for one but if you put it in a civic youd need custom axels....
By VerLee24
#207848 stay with the d

end of thread.
By Classiccarsrule85
#207875 yes so if i stay with the d series what would you suggest as i mean yes i have a 92 now so vtec is prewired but im more into simplicity if you will....so if im sticking with d sereis what woudl you suggest i look into getting and yes i would be spending money on headstuds, rods pistons turbo stuff etc...