General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories

Just for fun lets see

10%
90%
By Sabes
#206237 hey guys. Well as the title says i have come to a dilemma. Let me elaborate.

I had my eyes set on a b18b obd1 for my civic. The plan was to junkyard turbo charge it to about 250 horse, have a lot of fun and when the novelty wore off to go bigger. This was meant to be a long term project(decadeish) that would go from a street sleeper to eventually a full on race fuel trailer queen running sub 10 secs as my budget increased(wife finishing university :P)

I honestly would probably upgrade to something else like a j35 or k24 instead of continuing on with the b18 and shoveling money down it's throat. Unsure about the future but not concerned with it at the moment.

The issue at hand is i went to my local junkyard yesterday and found a plethora of f22's and only one b18b. I then started thinking(dangerous thing to do i know) about what a turbo charged f22 could do and it's potential. So i came home and started reading and digging up info and could not find enough to come to a decision.

Weighing the pros and cons of the two this is what i figure.

The b18b is a much more aftermarket backed engine where as the f22 would require a lot more custom fab work(not to much of a concern)/ custom parts or just really expensive parts. The b18b has the capability to rev much higher than the giant stroke of the f22 but the 400 cc difference is a lot to consider when talking small engines like these and the debate between revs and torque is a big one. Where i really got caught up is people talking about how the f22a heads are the best flowing heads around. What i could not find info on is it may be the best flowing head stock but can b18b head be opened up enough to meet or exceed the flow capabilities of the f22a and how much more is left to take off the f22a ports? Another area was transmissions because adapter plates are not cheap, but i am still currently looking up specs and doing some thinking. Feel free to chime in though.

I'm looking for some serious opinions with insight. Looking forward to talking with you guys. In the mean time i will continue my search and if we can't figure something out here i'll sign up on the cb7 sight and see what they think.
By asianrob
#206244 just do the B series. it bolts in and easier to get parts for.
By Sabes
#206251 That is what i was thinking just for simplicity's sake. Less screwing around with expensive parts and custom work. I want to hear someone on the other side of the argument pushing for the f22.
By Sabes
#206257 anyone know what the f22's can handle for power
I know the b18's are good for 300ish. This could be a determining factor.
By Sabes
#206385 hey guys. well i think i may have just sold myself on the f22a. The transmission has awesome gearing to match the rev limiter and copious amounts of torque from the engine. Torque wins the race ultimately boys.
The f22a swap and modification will be more involved than the b18b but after reading around i have concluded that it is worth a bit of headache. Not a concern for me. Also the abundance of f22a's at the junkyard and the lack b18b's is another factor.