General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By bk_civiceg
#202306 I'm looking at an H22a4, but it has a spun rod bearing. Would exactly would I need to replace, and would it be worth $300 for the complete motor? Can I get away with just replacing the rods and bearings and crank? Thanks
By VerLee24
#202310 theoretically yes. depends on the damage of course.

spun rod bearing = low oil pressure so the cylinder walls could be scored too if they werent lubricated. but depending on how much heat damage there was it could be just replacing the bearings to a whole new rotating assembly.

are you buying it in person or online? i would bring your 10,12,14,17mm and take a look.
By chrono404
#202313 If the damage isn't to bad you need new rod bearings and to micro polish your crank. if its worse you could need a new crank and rod(s).

not worth it IMO.
By Torch_Ind
chrono404 wrote:If the damage isn't to bad you need new rod bearings and to micro polish your crank. if its worse you could need a new crank and rod(s).

not worth it IMO.

don't forget if the bearing spun enough the bottom end could be toast. aka block. If the bearing stuck to the crank and spun in the bearing caps it's going to be a big paper weight. the only thing you can do is ask them to pull the bottom end apart and inspect.
By bk_civiceg
#202433 Alright, thanks. I'll call the guy and see what the deal is. I'm guessing it did quite a bit of damage because the guy already has the pistons out of it.