General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Treezy
#201795 I'm building an itr motor to 550whp. The question is, what's the best ignition setup for it? I've looked at some MSD and nology products, but I'm not sure which is the best combination. My small block s10 ran a 6al box and distributor and thats all i needed. This is my first full out honda build and I wanna know what all my options are. I've already got about 18k budgeted so the cost, as long as it isn't just rediculous, isn't a factor. Just need to know what the best combination/setup would be for my goals.
By That One Dude
#201900 I'd say stay OEM, but typically the OEM stuff won't handle more than 500hp.

I'd say use the OEM base with an MSD black cap and external coil, and NGK wires. That's just me.
By Treezy
#201912 yeah, i'm not looking to stay oem on this. I've been leaning to msd all this time, but not sure if there's anything else out there thats better. Hell, i went to msd's website and did a search for their products for my car and there wasn't a single import model listed.., all domestic. You can go anywhere else and find msd products for my car. I understand the idea that the same stuff will fit kinda thing, just makes me think that msd just assumes we not put their product under our hood and they'd be happy.
By That One Dude
#201942 They should have it all in the Import section, but I have only been to the MSD website once...ever.

As far as something better than MSD, fuck if I know... I'm staying OEM+NGK wires.
By suspendedHatch
#201975 Getting into that much power you run into two ignition problems. One is that the compression or the boost (whichever way you're going) will blow out the spark. Two, at high RPM you get misfires.

The best ignition system by far would be to go distributor-less. Get the AEM pencil coils, an AEM EPM, and a good ignition module. AEM makes an ignition module they call the Twin Fire, which is good, but if money is no object then there are even better. To run this you will need an AEM EMS, but if you're aiming for 500 hp, you were getting one already anyway.
By Treezy
#201999 I originally had the AEM EMS listed in my build plan, but was told the Hondata s300 would take care of what i need. I can access some of the forums from here but for some reason a lot of the car sites are not coming up (?). it seems kinda backwards to me, but what do i know.. Thats why i'm asking the questions I am instead of just going and comparing things myself. will the s300 cover all my bases or should i re-add the aem ems to my sheet? And thanks btw for the info. I was thinking dropping the distributor was my best bet, but like i said, i cant access damnit from here!
By blk92hb
#202042 Msd makes a dizzy for the b series that use a external coil. You can use that or the aem unit. Imo i would use the aem because they special in n/a and boosted motors
By flyinryan122
#202136 MSD digital6 with the MSD HVC2 coil, OEM dizzy, And OEM spark plug wires. Thats the set up we have ran on all the sport front wheel drive cars in utah up until last year or the year before when everyone started switching out for the digital7 box, for clutchless shifting, ect.

Every car using the digital6/hvc2 setup were making between 700-900HP. All tuned with Hondata s300.

Another way to go would be the M&W ignition. It's super tiny and compact, and unlike the MSD, it gets rid of the OEM igniter in the dizzy which have a tendancy to go out. And you can run Coil on plug set ups, using Hnda CBR coils.
By suspendedHatch
#202157 It's up to you to decide if you want "good enough" or great. The EMS ver2 is quite cheap, tuning is a breeze which saves you a lot of money and you end up with a better tune. But if you only have crappy tuners in your area that may not even matter.

Oh yeah I have a pic of my COP setup in my sig banner.
By Treezy
#202162 My tuners are well known. I'm actually taking my car a couple hours away to make sure its done right. The local shops where i'm at are psuedo suspect as far as i'm concerned. I'll take a look at this stuff when i get a free minute. We just received in-coming fire and had to suit up, so it may be a day or so. Thanks guys.
By Treezy
#202256 I wanna find and choke the sh!t out of someone at msd.. i tried to e-mail them and all they have is phone numbers and a mailing address.. yeah, that helps me in the middle east. I checked out M&W, but i think the cost of shipping alone will deter me when I have something "good enough" here in the states. I've used MSD 6al before and was thoroughly happy with it, but I really wanna get away from the dizzy. I checked msd's dizzy-less stuff and was like wait a minute, i thought i was in their import section.. blahzay blahzay LS1-LS6, blahzay blahzay hemi.. WTF? Still no response from AEM. I e-mailed them a couple days ago.

Lol, i asked my boy back in VA to find me a gsr tranny and bare b16 head.. he comes back with ordering info for a full ITR clip. WTF?! I give you a task even Jerry's kids could've accomplished and u screw it up. Oh well.., back to the drawing board. For you, the coloring book.
By flyinryan122
#202718 If you want dizzy less, AEM i think is your only option, unless you want to spend the BIG money for MoTec
By Treezy
#202735 ..still trying to get in touch with aem
By Eg6H2D
#202900 I Agree with suspended on this!! AEM Ver2 is where you want to go. you'll be highly satisfied.!!! :thumb: