General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By andyc
#205514 this is the thing ExCoupe94, the starter is turning over fast as ever just isnt firing up??
By andyc
#205527 ok, the whining is only after turning it over for a while... Ive taken out a plug and tested for spark and nothing. what could cause this??
By d-mon
ANDYC wrote: the starter is turning over fast as ever just isnt firing up??

is the starter gear engaging the flywheel?
By andyc
#205637 would that cause there to be no spark?
By Torch_Ind
chilango41 wrote:It would cause it not to start, thats for sure.
Double check the connections on your starter :thumb:

what he means is it turning over the engine!! is your belts and alt and stuff spinning when you engage the starter??

that or if it turns over fast and your alt belt is spinning everything it could be your timing belt is broke or has teeth missing.
By andyc
#205771 no buddy, as per the thread title its turning over....

is this re the cel right?

"If the CEL does not go out, most Civics will not spark and the fuel pump will not run. That's why we begin our diagnosis here."
By andyc
#206217 Ive now checked the ECL for codes and I havent seen one reading off for codes before.. can anyone make sense of this for me? I had to draw the line at 10 mins, I couldnt tell the difference in flashes, they all look the same to me??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y606F10WL0U
By MG6
#206235 never seen a long flash like that before. But i took this off from HT from pdiggitydogg posting that is a sticky.

-----CEL # List-----
1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
2 O2B - Oxygen sensor #2
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
4 CKP - crank position sensor
5 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
6 ECT - water temperature sensor
7 TPS - throttle position sensor
8 TDC - top dead centre sensor
9 CYP - cylinder sensor
10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
12 EGR - exhaust gas recirculation lift valve
13 BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor
14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve
15 Ignition output signal
16 Fuel injectors
17 VSS - speed sensor
19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve
20 Electrical load detector
21 VTEC spool solenoid valve
22 VTEC pressure valve
23 Knock sensor
30 Automatic transmission A signal
31 Automatic transmission B signal
36 traction control found on JDM ecu's
41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
43 Fuel supply system
45 Fuel system too rich or lean
48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor
54 CKF - crank fluctuation sensor
58 TDC sensor #2
61 Primary oxygen sensor
63 Secondary oxygen sensor circuit
65 Secondary oxygen sensor heater wire (black wires)
67 Cat Converter
71 random misfire cylinder 1
72 random misfire cylinder 2
73 random misfire cylinder 3
74 random misfire cylinder 4
80 EGR Valve/Line
86 ECT sensor - Cooling System
91 Fuel Tank pressure sensor
92 EVAP Solenoid/Valve/Vacuum Lines
By andyc
#206340 Thanks for that buddy, anyone else have any idea what this ecl is for? I dont understand it, ive never tried this before. I have a meet with some civic-eg guys and really dont want to miss it... :(
By Benj
#206342 hold up how does not having sparking and the connections to the starter have anything to do with each other?

please elaborate on a few things

a) car is or is not turning over?

b) do you or do you not have spark?

c) when you have the cap off the distributor does the rotor turn?

a few things to check..

a) the 3 main grounds that teal already mentioned. even if the front 2 are good make sure the one that bolts to the tstat make sure it is good

b) if you dont have spark could be, icm (ignitor), change rotor and cap.. check all plug wires, change if the look like crap

c)it the rotor doesnt turn could be a few things, timing belt broke, ( if thats the case i hope this isnt the Z6 you picked up ) , or the shaft broke in the dizzy

well Let us know what happens... Best of luck
By andyc
#206343 Thanks mate, anyone else know what this ecl code is? Im really stuck and have a meet saturday with some civic-eg guys i dont want to miss... Cheers guys :(
By andyc
#206344 Sorry for the repeat posts, im having to do this on my mobile and its fiddly... The engine definetly turns over and the rotor turns too. Ive replaced 2 earths and checked the one on the tstat. Theres definetly no spark. Ive changed the coil and rotor from another dizzy (not new but best i had to troubleshoot with) and still nothing. It used to take a while to start before it died, yesterday with jumper cables it nearly fired up and then nothing again so i left it, im assuming something might have gradually worn?
By andyc
#206364 Where is that?