General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By andyc
#200553 Hey everyone,

for most of you guys this is probably an easy question. My car hasnt been starting properly today (it did after quite a while). The starter motor turns over pretty fast and for quite a while. there is plenty of petrol and the gauge has been fine, it just dosent fire up (until the battery is almost dead) then the engine just about splutters to life. the second time was worse so I wiggled the ignition leads and knocked the dizzy with my hand, tried again and it started, just.

I was thinking maybe either dodgy ignition leads, plugs or dizzy?? what do you guys think, that is pretty much a stab in the dark for me....

Thanks again boys and girls! :thumb:
Last edited by andyc on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Fada Blayne
#200686 It might just be ur fuel pump :thumb: . The next time u try to start the car put the key into the on position and listen for the pump ( its like a slight humming sound ). If it isn't that u might just need a tune up. Check ur spark plugs,wires and the connectors inside ur dizzy... Try all the aforementioned and let me know wat happened :)
By asianrob
#200687 is it hot where your at? it might just be the main relay acting up.
By 93hatcheg
#200691 probably the main relay, this happens to my honda on hot days because that main relay is a orignal one from 93 and has been in use for 200xxx+ miles. like fada blain says listen for the fuel pump when you start it. if you dont here it try taking the ecu fuse out of the fuse box under the hood for 10sec or more when this happens. for some odd reason this and unplugging the negetice terminal on my bettery seem to fix the problem temporarily
By andyc
#200753 thanks for the replies.

The fuel pump definetely humms... it has been doing this cold mornings and warm evenings before and after work. More recently I have found that wiggling/pulling out and replacing the ht leads seems to make it fire up straight away pretty much??? I'm thinking of replacing these 1st... more money I dont have :cry: may have to bear with it.
By andyc
#200944 Is it easy to take apart the dizzy and be able to tell if its worn out? I hear rotor arms wear a fair bit....
By Punksz6
#200989 Check the ICM and Coil in the Dizzy I think Its gonna be one of those two or maybe both? Hope that helps and be careful with the screws inside cause they can strip... Oh and you can take these to any Autopart store like Kragen or Autozone and they can test them for you... :thumb:
By andyc
#200997 we dont have those in the UK lol, Ive replaced the plugs and leads so hopefully that will fix it. Wont know till ive left it overnight tho..... :pray:
By andyc
#202113 ive noticed when I shut the engine off the revs hop up to about 3k real quick. straight up and straight down (cant hear a diference in the engine its that quick). I didnt notice it do it its that quick.. is that a sign of anything in particular? :?
By asianrob
#202135 take off your cap and check the spark points. you can clean them up with sand paper.
By andyc
#202137 I havent opened one before, Im guesing ill pull the cap off and there will be 4 points that the rotor arm will be touching when it turns?? im gonna have a look now :D
By andyc
Punksz6 wrote:and be careful with the screws inside cause they can strip...

and.... i stripped one... I should pay more attention, the points were a little dark so gave them a rub back to silver with fine grain paper and its still the same? still jumping up the revs when i turn the engine off too...
By andyc
#202965 right, I haved an update! This morning the car was a bit low on fuel (enough normlly to get to work, let alone the petrol station). Didnt start for ages as normal, few hundred yards up the road conked out as if it was empty. Luckily it started and as I have a long drive tomorrow (to pick up my D16Z6 :woot: ) I filed the tank all the way. When I left work just now, normally it'll take a while to start as its been left all day but it started pretty much straight away! so its gotta be the fuel delivery right? the pump still whirs when the ignition is turned on so maybe injectors??

cheers for your help on this guys, it really is appreciated. one day ill be the one giving advice :thumb:
By andyc
#202967 you might laugh at this. since ive had the car ive done around 30k and havent changed the fuel filter... you could be right, I guess theres more pressure to push fuel through the filter if its full? or is it the same ammount of pressure always with the pump pushing it through?