General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By bsustoff40
#196346 Hey ive been looking into this and it looks great for building a bulletproof bottom end, is this gonna be a good invest how much would it cost to install? Im lookin for like 400hp in my build w boost and a possible intercooler 50 shot of nitrous :woot: , any advice would be greatt!
By Fada Blayne
#196373 Well if u have some common engine assembling knowledge u should be able to install it urself. But bare in mind that u would first have to acquire the correct specifications for ur build.
Would this crank work with ur factory rods? Or are u planning on getting new aftermarket ones?

As for is it a good investment that's all up to personal opinion... I've never heard of it and I have built some pretty reliable engines in my years of being in the honda game. A polished oem crank with eagle/manley rods can be used to assemble a block that can easily handle that power whilst being reliable.

My 10cents. Hope it was of help in some way
By Sabes
#205564 i agree. ditch the crank, buy good set of rods since that will be your weak point and grind/polish/chamfer crank. That eagle crank is probably good for near 1000 horse, yours probably good for around 700ish maybe bit more when tuned well. Are you planning on buying different pistons? I don't recall but i am pretty sure that that is to much heat for the stock hypereutic pistons.
Honda crankshafts and sleeves :thumb:
honda rods :thumbdown:
don't forget to post pics :)

as for the nitrous, why not just do a water/methanol kit if you want some thing to fill up. Will probably net you almost 50+ horsepower in the top end of your dyno chart. Will allow you to turn up boost probably a few pounds while reducing charge temperatures. Or do you want nitrous just for the hell of it?

Nitrous just doesn't make sense to me unless unless you are doing like hardcore drag racing running an enormous snail and want to use the nitrous to help spool that bad boy up quicker and get better power in the lower end for launching.... or rolling start street racing/ surprising people you are street racing.

What do you think of my two cents?
By JUICE
Sabes wrote:i agree. ditch the crank, buy good set of rods since that will be your weak point and grind/polish/chamfer crank.
Honda crankshafts and sleeves :thumb:
honda rods :thumbdown:
don't forget to post pics :)

x2

a local guy here has a stock crank, stock sleeve LS/Vtec with forged rods and pistons making 560whp.
By asianrob
#205586 stock crank can handle up to 400-500hp(GSR)... no need for aftermarket crank.

i'm pretty sure the LS crank will hold nearly as much.
By Gordongk
#205617 Even if you buy an after market crank shaft it still won't be balanced. Eagle crank shafts have a target bobweight of +/- 2%. You can't buy a balanced crank shaft out of the box. It has to be balanced to your rod and piston combination. So if you were to do anything with the crank shaft, just pay to have your current one balanced.
By Sabes
asianrob wrote:stock crank can handle up to 400-500hp(GSR)... no need for aftermarket crank.

i'm pretty sure the LS crank will hold nearly as much.

correct me if i am wrong but i remember d-series crankshafts handling more than that no problems. Give some attention to the oiling capabilities of your current crankshaft, grind, polish and balance.

I believe the ls crank is just as sturdy as the gsr crank, just needs attention to oiling and a good balance. Gsr/type-r cranks have better oiling capabilities and a better balance from the factory. I would assume they are lighter but i do not know for sure. Maybe someone can chime in on weights specs.?