General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By EricM
#194226 So I was planning on ordering a JDM D15B Vtec from hmotors with the tranny and ecu. With shipping, it was looking to be around $1,000 flat. I'm trying to get rid of the stock D15B7 in my DX coupe. But hmotors has since sold out and I don't really want to order from tigerjapanese. Some people have been saying that I can swap in a B-series cheaply. But this will be my first swap, so I wouldn't really have any clue how to do a b-series swap, where-as a D15B is almost a bolt-on affair. Everywhere I look though, you can't find a decent b18b swap for anything under $1500. I don't want a high mileage Z6 either, plus they are hard to come by here in Missouri. Should I try to find another site to buy a D15B from or should I look into something else? Possibly a B20B? Any input is accepted as I haven't quite decided what direction I want to take on the car. I was thinking of eventually buying the FJ distributors vitara rebuild for the D15B and boosting that by next summer (2011). But like I said, I've never actually swapped and have only been into the honda thing for a few months. I wouldn't be against an NA build.
By TrailerTrash
#194258 just be patient and wait for a good priced D15B to come knocking.

D Series for life man! Say nay to two cams!
By 93hatcheg
#194268 i totally agree and wait!! D-series are the shittt and i have had both and b16a abd b18b and my little d16z6 is wayyyyyy more fun and honestly it smokes the crap outta all my buddies b16s.
By EricM
#194289 Those sites you linked don't have what I need. I've heard of too many people getting screwed with tigerjapanese. Either way, compared to my D15b7, will it be worth the money to swap in another d-series??
By EricM
#194324 I have a TOTAL of $1700 put away for a swap this summer. This is the amount for absolutely everything... all maintenance and extra parts included. Anyone got any ideas? :lol:
By MI_excoupe
#194329 $1700 could get you a D15B then some nice parts. Stay single cam!
By EricM
#194332 Yeah I was thinking D15B + tranny and ecu (although I have to find a site that actually has the swap). Then get plugs and wires, distributor rotor, timing belt, water pump and tension pulley. Also wanted to grab a competition stage 1 clutch and 11lb flywheel. Dunno how much money I would have left. I would probably grab a megan header. The car now is almost stock except for an axle-back and an intake. I would like to find an Apexi WS2 but I dunno if I'll have enough money. Would these extra parts be worth getting or should I get something else? lol :lol:
By 93hatcheg
#194336 dude 1700 is plenty for jdmd15b swap and more. you could get the complete swap and alot of good parts for the motor and car if you shop around.

and as for tigerjapanese....i bought my EDM lsd d15b trans from them and it was only 50$ dollars more then other site wanted for a regular trans!

i didnt have any probs with tiger.

anywho also if you getting a D-swap alot of your parts already in your should swap over its its stock motor.

you eould probably just need a vtec wire harness (or you could add vtec to yours)
new axles
p28 ecu
and you should be all set everything else you need is already in the car

keep us updated
By EricM
#194338 Would I need new axles?? Also, I heard that I would want to run the p08 ecu that came with the engine because of slightly different maps and possibly an o2 issue? I just want to buy a bunch of brand new maintenance parts due to the fact that I want this to be like a brand new car lol. Also I was looking at buying this to save me a huge headache:
http://rywire.com/store/9295-civic-d16z ... 39c4912174

Any advice on what I should buy with leftover money? Best performance gains, etc..

I think the swap was looking to be around $900 with shipping from tigerjapanese. Add on at least $300 in maintenance parts/fluids. Then another $300 on clutch/flywheel. Yeah... not much left.
By 93hatcheg
#194355 im not 100% sure about the new axles some one told be that that z6 and d15b had like 42spline axles and all other d"s had 40spline or something?? i could be wrong

as for the computer i would use which ever ecu came with the d15b.

also yea when you add it all like that it really does suck down all your money fast lol but with a b you would barley get the swap for 1700 withought the tuneup parts and performance parts you were wanting.

as for that harness you found it will probably be a waste because i have heard that adding vtec is easy however as for saving time and simplicity the harness would kickass
By EricM
#194386 Yeah I'll use that harness since $50 isn't too hefty a price. IF I don't need axles, I'll treat myself to a new header. :thumb:
By forcefedEG
#194824 if you go thru the pages the one had a d15b for sale... :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#194879 Get a JDM D15B and a DX/EX/SI tranny. you can run the p06 but you won't have VTEC. you can usually pick p28s up for around $100 on craigslist. if you have the patients to wait you might get lucky and be able to get a good price locally on a D15B then find a cheap tranny then get a p28 then an ebay stage 2/3 clutch then you should still have a little money left over to make an order from bisimoto for a cam :thumb:

then while your having fun womping on people with LS swaps you can save your pennies for a Jackson Racing blower
By EricM
#194938 Its actually a P08 ecu. And its vtec. ;)

I just plan on ordering it all together, that way I get low mileage everything.
P28 would be running a tad rich, the better map would be the P08.