General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By jred
#186333 so both the K20 and H22 are 2.0L,2.2L V-tec monsters but wich one is more powerful, responsive,and tuneable? and is a best EG swap? and also wich is best for turbo...
By forcefedEG
#186342 the two engines are completly different in every way...

K20- has the most modern valve train technology (basicly a roller setup) it is ivtec, and has a more modern ignition system (coil on plug), and runs reverse of any b d or h engine, and uses a timing chain. but depending on the route you go, this swap, turn key and drive your looking at anywhere from 7 to 10k (doing most of it yourself) (agin depending on if you buy new used and what power plant you select) im not sayin it cant be done for less thats just a ball park, and these swaps are not as easy as a d b or h swap... thats just a ball park... but these engines have a untapped potential, and make good power for there displacement. they are a full floating design on the pistons and have alot of great features, but can eat into your wallet drasticly to do this swap, your car harness needs to be removed and sent off and rewired for the coil on plug igniton system, and thats about $350, and takes a K-pro ecu to run the setup correctly thats about $1000, and axles are like $300, and mounts are like $650...

h22- the accord and prelude "big block" from the 90's... a good power plant, they have gobs of low end torwue. they have a decent aftermarket support, still not as much as a d or b, can be nose heavy in an eg.. uses a timing belt, has the same rocker shaft valve train like a b series, uses a standard distributor igniton, but this swap can be preformed in your garage with basic tools, in an eg requires no major wiring, looking at about 2500 to 4000 max for turn key and drive. agin depending on what you go with, the parts can be had pretty easily and would be a better first swap than a k series imo... you also have the option of a strait h22 swap using a h trans or you can go h2b if your starting from scratch... but i will say the sleeves in a h22 96+ dont like boost they have the FMR liners, the eariler 92-95 h22's are supposed to have steel liners like a b series...

hope this is some help :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#186404 if you go wit a h swap
get the h23a vtec(blue top)
it puts out almost the same power (197hp) the k20's in the new si

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=26

In 1998 Honda produced a rare VTEC version of the H23 engine for use in Japan only. It is essentially an H23 block with an H22 head. The power is on par with a typical H22 engine but with a lower redline.

Specifications

Bore × Stroke: {{
1998-2002 Accord Wagon AWD (CL2). It produces 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) & 163 ft·lbf (221 N·m) and comes with a "blue top".
-wikipedia
By forcefedEG
94_jdm_ferio wrote:if you go wit a h swap

honestly for what you pay for that engine its not worth it imo... a friend had a stock type s in an h2b and later got ahold of a bluetop h23, they ran identical... id get a stock h22 and spedn the diefference on head work :thumb: but thats just me.... and the 4/5thgen h22 type s is 200 to 220hp and is 100 less on that site, myself and friends have bought several engines from tiger.... blue tops everywhere else are way more$$$ and h22 have went up and the bluetops came down.... my friend got his for like 700 and when he priced his the blue top was like 1100... id honestly still prob go with the h22 but thats just me :lol:
By jred
94_jdm_ferio wrote:if you go wit a h swap
it puts out almost the same power (197hp) the k20's in the new si

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=26

In 1998 Honda produced a rare VTEC version of the H23 engine for use in Japan only. It is essentially an H23 block with an H22 head. The power is on par with a typical H22 engine but with a lower redline.

Specifications

Bore × Stroke: {{
1998-2002 Accord Wagon AWD (CL2). It produces 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) & 163 ft·lbf (221 N·m) and comes with a "blue top".
-wikipedia

i tiught thay both put out like 220hp stock?
By forcefedEG
#186569 honestly imo they all run aobut the same stock.... :lol:
By chrono404
#186608 H series transmissions suck for acceleration, which is why People go with H2B Swaps. That way they can use the better geared B Series transmission.

If you swap in an H into your EG, the way the engine sits in your bay so it will fit makes alot of the engine weight sit infront of your strut towers, This will make your car understeer alot. If your going to to do Drag this will work out well, However If thats your goal, you can swap in a F22 non-vtec for less money, and boost it easily, it has stronger iron walls, lower compression and the best flowing head hondas ever made.

You could also swap in a B18b and GSR Transmission for the price of a H22 and its mounts, then boost it and be just as well off with a super easy install and easy wiring. If you want an easy install and easy power this is the best route here. Unlike the H's No Negitive Handling will result from swapping in a B Series.

If you go with a K Series it will be more expensive, however they are getting cheaper these days, Honda tuning posted up an article on how to do the swap for about 2500. You would have a K24 with 160 hp and 160lbs of torque. Thats better then most B Swaps stock, Then ofcourse you can boost it on top of that. Unlike the H's No Negitive Handling will result from swapping in a K Series.

Hope this helps :thumb: :thumb:
By forcefedEG
chrono404 wrote:H series transmissions suck for acceleration, which is why People go with H2B Swaps.

Honda tuning posted up an article on how to do the swap for about 2500. You would have a K24 with 160 hp and 160lbs of torque. Thats better then most B Swaps stock,

agreed x2 on the h trans sucking it up on accelertaion! :thumbdown: h2b's are fun :thumb:

but i read the honda tuning article, and they used the k24 trans and altered the mounts to work, the k24 trans is lax on accelertaion too i believe.... and the k24 is only 160 hp, a b16 has that much and maybe more 160 to 170 hp, but i will say it dosent have the 160tq, but if i would say you were going to make the leap to go k for me itd be no less than the usdm k20a2 type s swap (at least for me)... they say the new k20z engine runs really well :thumb: stay away from the k20a3... this is a "ecomony i-vtec" k series basicly
Last edited by forcefedEG on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By forcefedEG
chrono404 wrote:You could also swap in a B18b and GSR Transmission for the price of a H22 and its mounts, then boost it and be just as well off with a super easy install and easy wiring.

x2 on this as well friend :thumb: :thumb: