General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Red-eg
#183266 HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!!
Being that I sell AN fittings, I get this question a lot. So I thought I would put together a how to.

The first thing you need to know is the length of hose that is needed. So after you take your measurements and you know how much you need. Mark it on your steel braided hose using electrical tape. Wrap the electrical tape around the hose tightly 4-5 times around. Then use masking tape, and wrap that around 2-3 times.Image

Now once you've done that tighten it down in the vise just like the picture above. Then get you high speed cut off wheel with 5" blade and make the cut as straight as possible.ImageImage

Then take the tape off, you should have a nice clean cut, with very little fraying of the steel braid.

Now get your AN fitting and screw off the socket part from the nipple end.

If your going to be installing a lot of AN fittings then I would recommend getting the Koul Tool. It will make things a lot easier and a lot less cussing will be involved, lol.

Once the Koul Tool is in the vise all you have to do is insert the steel braided hose in and twist while pushing in. In less then 15 seconds the steel braided line is in the socket head.

Now if you don't have this tool which most people don't. Then you need to use your
vise jaws to hold the socket head. I would recommend using smooth vise jaws that
way you don't scratch up your fittings. Insert the steel braided line at an angle and use a flat head screw driver to push the steel braided line in while turning the line clockwise.Be careful not to scratch the socket fitting.

Push the steel braided hose right up underneath the threads, about 1/16" from the threads. Don't push it right up against the threads because you won't be able to get the threads started when you screw the socket head onto the nipple part of the fitting

So now you have the steel braided hose in the socket head. Take a piece of masking tape and wrap it around the steel braided hose for a reference point. This is important because if the steel braided line starts to back out when your screwing the socket head onto the nipple part of the fitting you will know.

Now take some wd 40 and spray a little bit inside the socket head. This lubricates the inside of the steel braided hose which is rubber. It will help the hose slide over the nipple part of the fitting when your tightening it down.

Now take the nipple part of the fitting and dip the first 1/4" of the fitting in motor oil.

Now take the nipple part of the fitting and thread it on the socket head. Tighten it as far as you can by hand. Then take a boxed end wrench and tighten it down. Push up on the hose while tightening it down to prevent it from backing out. I have found that using the ratcheting boxed end wrenches works the best, they don't scratch the fittings. In the picture I'm using a 19mm to tighten down a -6 fitting.

Keep your hand close to the wrench when tightening down, if you use too much leverage the fittings can break. They are aluminum.

Tighten down until there is a small gap between the socket head and the main fitting. Don't bottom them out. Also check your reference point (the tape) to make sure it didn't back out. If it did, unscrew and repeat the steps. When the hose backs out, I have found that the hose wasn't pushed in close enough to the threads on the socket head.

This is what it should look like when your done. No scratches.

Here's a plug for the Koul Tool. They come in two sets. The small set comes with sizes -4, -6, and -8. The larger set comes with -10, -12, and -16.
Image[list=][/list]
Last edited by Red-eg on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Red-eg
#183269 how can i post this hole post into the how to section i am lost?
By Red-eg
#183271 i am 99GSR on utah hondas dude
By Red-eg
#183274 u are sohc turbo right or some like that lol
dam we should add a how to section on utah hondas don you think
By flyinryan122
#183275 UtahTurboSohc. yeah.

Yeah! i actually just made a post in suggestions thread about a fabrication/DIY thread. They kinda shot down the other DIY idea. Jeff said if you post it he will stickey rather than make a DIY section
By Red-eg
#183276 where should i post it at back at utahhondas?
By Red-eg
#183279 no i don't sell AN fittings i found it on honda tech i just made it little bit better it help me so that why i posted it
By 1ATony
#184419 Welcome to the site.
By ohDirka
#184436 moved to engine- general
By kapow
#219565 Pic links are broken... can you please upload them again?
By tonyjdm
#222403 needed pics :shock:
By Ecc0
#231938 Still need the pic's Please.

Also a link to a website as am looking for a good supplier of AN fittings, also do you ship to the UK???