General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By CaliEJ2
#181776 ive been trying to show my gf how to drive stickshift for like 3 days now. Today she was stalling way too much and the car was jerking ALOT. After a small conversation with "the law" we decided to call it quits for the day. When i tried to turn it on it wouldnt , kept trying but nothing, so her dad came and helped me pop the clutch. Did it do this because of the stalling and jerking? What exactly happens?

93 coupe, b16a, ACT 6 puck cluch
By JUICE
#181784 dude.. for things like that.. you go out and buy a $300 beater with a 5 speed, let the ole lady roast out the clutch in it, drive it on its last leg out to camp, see if it can make it across the creek, then shoot it up with assault rifles once it gets stuck... :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe check the wires to your starter??
By MG6
#181791 It could be because your battery just rank below the voltage that needs to crank.

When you stall and turn over the car, everytime you turn it over will take some battery juice. drive it awhile around the city and you will be good as gold.

and it is nice of you to teach your gf :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#181802 If the car aint running long enough to make up for the juice the starter takes then everytime you start it its gunna take more and more out of it.

JUICE wrote:dude.. for things like that.. you go out and buy a $300 beater with a 5 speed, let the ole lady roast out the clutch in it, drive it on its last leg out to camp, see if it can make it across the creek, then shoot it up with assault rifles once it gets stuck... :lol: :lol: :lol:

My woman wants to learn so I told her its no problem she can learn on my coupe since im gunna slap a six puck in it anyway this summer. I told her she can roast away without worries :thumb:
By CaliEJ2
JUICE wrote:dude.. for things like that.. you go out and buy a $300 beater with a 5 speed, let the ole lady roast out the clutch in it, drive it on its last leg out to camp, see if it can make it across the creek, then shoot it up with assault rifles once it gets stuck... :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha i wish i could do that.

i checked the starter and everything seemed fine.
i had an extra ecu with me and i tried but it was the same lol... i was trying everything i could do!
So yea im guessing it was just the battery that didnt have enough juice.

My woman wants to learn so I told her its no problem she can learn on my coupe since im gunna slap a six puck in it anyway this summer. I told her she can roast away without worries thumb up

good luck with that... it can get so frustrating. lol
By TrailerTrash
CaliEJ2 wrote:

haha i wish i could do that.

i checked the starter and everything seemed fine.
i had an extra ecu with me and i tried but it was the same lol... i was trying everything i could do!
So yea im guessing it was just the battery that didnt have enough juice.

My woman wants to learn so I told her its no problem she can learn on my coupe since im gunna slap a six puck in it anyway this summer. I told her she can roast away without worries thumb up

good luck with that... it can get so frustrating. lol

its gunna be... even more so because shes never even driven an automatic...
By suspendedHatch
#181971 Starter can get too hot or battery doesn't have a chance to charge.

I bought a 91 Si hatchback for $600 with some body damage and a ZC=D16A6 swap and taught myself to drive stick on it. Then I taught my girlfriend (now she's my wife) how to drive stick on it. We didn't burn up the clutch like I was warned. I sold the car for $1500 after fixing a lot of minor stuff on it. Now I have a 97 GSR and my wife's got a 01 Civic EX.

Previous owner had to drive it to my house... heh memories.

Teaching your girl to drive stick is a pretty nice experience. I remember riding with her and she would sometimes engine brake to come to a quick stop when needed. And for me it was kind of a turn-on.

That's pretty awesome man enjoy this moment in your life.
By egsedanguy
#181990 hey teaching a girl to drive a stick is just like the first time you hoped in a car with stick. jerk jekr stall stall. i know i did. my girl wants to learn to. i let her try once and she didnt do to bad but wanted to rost the tires like a drgster when starting. haha. that was witrh the d. now that it has an ls im scared to let her try. but her friend just got a lil 4 bager accord. she said she would teach her how. but if she learns she want to convert her teggy to stick :shock: and ya i would have to tackle thatone. told her we would sell her car and start over she said hell no.. but she wans a TL soon so she might get that in stick 8)
By CaliEJ2
its gunna be... even more so because shes never even driven an automatic...

haha same thing with my girl :P

Teaching your girl to drive stick is a pretty nice experience. I remember riding with her and she would sometimes engine brake to come to a quick stop when needed. And for me it was kind of a turn-on.

That's pretty awesome man enjoy this moment in your life.

yea its pretty fun..... although sometimes in the inside i feel like :x .
but i dont yell at her or anything. When my car wouldnt turn on she was like "OMG i broke your car im so sorry" lol. Yea these moments are definitely going to be remembered.

hey teaching a girl to drive a stick is just like the first time you hoped in a car with stick. jerk jekr stall stall. i know i did. my girl wants to learn to. i let her try once and she didnt do to bad but wanted to rost the tires like a drgster when starting. haha. that was witrh the d. now that it has an ls im scared to let her try. but her friend just got a lil 4 bager accord. she said she would teach her how. but if she learns she want to convert her teggy to stick Shocked and ya i would have to tackle thatone. told her we would sell her car and start over she said hell no.. but she wans a TL soon so she might get that in stick Cool

yea i remember they gave me two quick 30 minute lessons and that was it. The rest was up to me. I bought my first car and it was 5 spd. and that i couldnt really drive. I didnt have a licence or insurance ( would regret that later on) but i didnt care and drove it in the rain. And yup thats how i learned. Peeling out at every stop sign or stalling. Good times :thumb:
By CaliEJ2
#182152 oh and thanx for the info guys! :thumb:

next time it happens, i hope it doesnt, i wont be as scared.
By tigerafro
#182309 lol. my gf taught me how to drive stick. :lol:

but seriously...

next time, rent a car w/ stick and then let her rape the clutch.