General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By speedracer1094
#177281 Well Im at a cross road with my EG8. I have a sohc zc non vtec 5 speed in it right now and planning to do an engine swap but can't make up my mind on what to swap in. A couple of things I need to consider are:
-reliability (since its my DD and I drive over 100 miles a day),
-total cost
-gas mileage
-performance (i want to take it to the track for autoX once in a while)

Any suggestions?....
By {ikon}EM1
#177289 u need alot of money for a k swap first off but if u got it do it..... second if u go b series theres alot of options as for tuning so its a good thing.... and third u should try boost for the little d.... if i were in ur shoes id go jackson racing supercharger.......
By Classiccarsrule85
#177300 Well I was in the same position and to be honest heres my veiw on the whole subject.

--K swap--
-too much right now and too new
-alot of the times the powers there but to be honest being how its not really that old there are still some gremlins like weak internals and weak trannys.....

--B swap--
-Decent priced depending on what you are getting however some of the parts are well expensive and higher priced then that of the d series....
(examples(clutch, hydro trans etc)
-has good power, has good aftermarket support
-gas mileage is decent as well...
-autocross people do decent with the motors b series are just as reliable as the d series but you have to know people or live somewhere where parts are easy to find.....
And with autocross you will be in a different class i do have to say that it will of coarse be in a higher class and i mean yea your car will be a bit heavier in the front as well....

--D swap--
-Easily obtainable priced for the person who hasnt much to spend....you could get sohc z6 swaps for 200-500 easily....transmissions are easy to find. parts are easy to find etc....and they are cheap to boot unlike the k and b parts
-D series may be underrated if you ask me in power you could make a d series have the same if not more power than a b series and with that make it reliable to boot
=Depending on the model motor there may be alot of aftermarket support or a bit or you may have to do some hard searching for parts....*ex: dophc zc is more of a specialty motor for the aftermarket people have found ways around the markets neglect for aftermarket parts for this motor....
-to be honest i dont truely care for vtec however the z6 would be your best bet for a good motor with good aftermarket support as well as a nice motor for useing at the auto cross....

Overall if you had the money to spend on a B series swap i might say just invest it into a D series swap however to be honest im more partial to the D series motor because I know them more....im working on a b series swap now and we will see what happens but yea i might go ahead and sell it for another dseries set-up....but yea hope that helps a bit...
By ikon
{ikon}EM1 wrote: jackson racing supercharger.......

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: ........... d series ftw.
By ikon
#177319 fine......... ill write more. ccr85 is right. if money is an issue stay with d or b. the aftermarket options come in a plethora.

d- if u can find one i would recommend a jdm d15b vtec. as long as u keep ur cars wieght low. your power to wieght ratio will help u alot in corners. i autox and my little d stalks srt4s, evos, boosted fc's, all of it. it will help u out in the corners if a throw on some boost.... as the lack of torque does slow u down exiting. the d is underated

b- swap in, throw on an intake/header and ur done. pretty decent power nd torque from the get go. you can get more power for less work than u would have to do on a d.

it all depend on the wrk ur willin to do. i say stay d and do a direct swap so u dnt have to deal with axels nd mounts. get a nice tune and youll have fun :thumb:
By teal_dx
#177325 How much do you have to spend? K is $$$$

A boosted D is fun, but not as reliable as a B for daily driving.
if you're serious into auto-x, I think a n/a B will put you into a tougher class (SM) than a n/a D would (STS) but it also depends on the other mods done to your car.
By speedracer1094
#177382 I think a K series is def out of my budget for the time being. I still want the reliability since its my DD. I really don't want to drop 2K on a b series swap when I could spend half that on a D series and make almost the same power. Plus having a a fast D series is a pretty cool concept since everyone is so hot and bothered with B series swaps.
By ikon
#177383 chyeah......... sohc ftw........still :D
By TrailerTrash
ikon wrote:chyeah......... sohc ftw........still :D

hell yeah man D series for life :woot:
By forcefedEG
#177402 go thru the zc, get a dx trans and put a lsd in it and boost it? zc's are suposed to be a little power house for what they are... they say the rods are way strong in them... (for a sohc) and myabe a z6vtec head if you want.... u could prob get like 250 to the wheels with good parts and prob get decent highway gas mileage?
By asianrob
#177405 id say go with a gsr swap you can never go wrong with that! i am starting to see them go for around 1500 in my area for a full swap.

you can spend all you money on a D series but it will never compare to a B series.

plus B series would be more friendly if you auto x now and then.

K was out of budget for me but i end up building one for around 3K with extra parts laying around.
By forcefedEG
#177409 even tho i wrote on the zc... i honestly cant help but agree with asianrob about the gsr... if your not gona do anything with what you have.... a gsr is a good sturdy swap... good highway and good track performance... hmotors had gsr motor and trans on sale a little while back?
By speedracer1094
#177472 Well heres a question for u guys with boosted D's
How reliable has it been? Any break downs or trouble getting it smogged? What can of MPG r u getting?
By Classiccarsrule85
#177481 im not turboed but ive done quite alot of research turbos are reliable to those who use them properly and not to those who boost and go....to build a reliable boosted d you need patience, a good tune(which should allow you to pass smog etc ) and reliable parts not some thrown together pos turbo that has 200+k on it and leaky lines etc just because you didnt spend the time and get the right parts.....

a good tune results in
-Reliability
-mpg
-good for the enviroment i guess since your not running too rich or too lean to where your motor blows up
-And much fun lol

And you can use ls rods to cut costs etc

To be honest reliability of a turbo D comes down to 3 main questions
-How much boost and what turbo your using since mentioned on here by another user you can run 2 different turbos at the same psi but the outcome will be different......
-What parts you are using and how much mileage is on your motor if you start fresh itd be better than boosting stock internals with 300+k miles
-And your tune, you can have a horribly fast car but have to rebuild your motor every 200miles because you keep blowing it up since you didnt tune your car right......

with thse questions in mind a good turbo for auto cross and reliability is a t25 garret turbo smaller turbos allow for good low to mid range power that evens out towards the top end (since your looking at only 2nd gear sometimes in autocross a smaller turbo is better for that since it requires less exhaust flow to make boost.....

A good diy thread to look at is Teal's DIY turbo z6
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=11082

i mean of coarse your not going to get amazing gas mileage like 40+ lol but depending on how you drive you can avoid hitting boost and thusly get better gas mileage.....

but yea in considering turboing my car like i said i have done a large amount of research and thinking and more research you can never do too much research......

And here is an example of a reliable set-up if tuned properly......
(Also you have different ways of tuning the ecu some are better than others so yea that you will need to research to figure out whats best for you)

D16z6 base
ARP headstuds
ARP rod bolts
LS integra rods
stock postons(you could go with vitaras depending on how much boost youd like)
T25 turbo
reinforced/knotchd block just in case
Ported and polished head for flow
T25 turbo and a turbo manifold (if running a external wastegate you would want a manifold where the wastegate is in the center for all 4 runners and not on the 1 exhaust runner...there are different style manifolds as well each with their own drawbacks research is key to find out whats right for you)

And a good tune

now i didnt say too much there just some key parts make the whole difference you dont need to really build yours to handle 35lbs of boost....but to be honest my rule of thumb is if i ever build something im going to build it to withstand more than i am looking to get out of it. since if yo do that then you will be more reliable than someone who only built to what they wanted......