General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By JdmJin
#175980 So a day or so ago, i noticed my shift nob moving up as i accelerate, and move back as i decelerate.

the shift nob isint sliding out of gear or anything, but i am concerned that this might be a future problem if left unchecked;

Now my idea on this problem is that the tranny or engine mounts are either cracked or just broken in general, now im wondering if that's a fair assumption, and how much it would be to fix this problem, also what are the repercussions of leaving this problem alone.

My car is lowered, and i do scrape on some things still - So i dont know if maybe i knocked something lose.

Just wondering if maybe anyone on here might have some insight knowledge;

Please and Thanks
Alex :oops:
By Classiccarsrule85
#176001 ok first off its always going to do that thats why you dont hang on the shift knob while driveing because you may accidently push or pull and worse case break gears.....

now in your case it could be depending on the amount of play...

Acceptable-you only notice it here and there only when your concentrateing on it

-Fix-dont look at it so much its fine thats just what it dose the shifters connected to the trans which is connected to the motor which contary to popular beleif the motor rocks back and forth as you accel and decell...

if its not acceptable pop underneath your carand look at your shifter bushings at the trans and at the shifter if there is any sign of deterrioration replace id reccoment the energy suspension bushings...

now if theres alot of play it could be motor mounts check them....and replace if needed ....

cost for teh bushings i think is like 20-30 depending on the motor......

motor mounts you can go new which is a tad pricey or used which you can get all for relatively cheap and to prevent the motor going too much like rocking back and forth you can either diy solid mounts or energy suspension motor mount inserts...

All and all the severity of what could happen depends on what is the problem broken mounts suck and are horrible because anything can go bad....other things that could go wrong would be sloppy shifting grinding gears etc...
By {ikon}EM1
#176019 does it feel like ur shifting in a bowl of soup??? if it does then check ur shifter mounts....
By JUICE
teal_dx wrote:How much play are we talking about here... 1/8" = ok... 1" = check your rear mount asap!

x2

all manual cars do that. if its excessive like teal said, definitely check your mounts
By intheworks
#176045 my shifter was super loose and i replaced the "bitch pin" now its nice and stiff (in a good way)
By JdmJin
#176109 Well it doesint move one inch, ide say.. maybe 3/8ths or 1/2 of an inch.
But what im concerned mostly about, is say, im in 2nd gear with clutch down, then let off the clutch, it grabs like normal, but if i do it too fast it makes a huge "clunk" sound, it didn't do that before i noticed the shifter moving, and even when i let off the clutch slowly it sometimes still makes that clunk sound. its super noticeable, i woulda seen it before, but it just started to happen.
By chrono404
#176136 that would be your synchro wearing out. not an issue with your shift linkage.
By Apexracing
JdmJin wrote:Well it doesint move one inch, ide say.. maybe 3/8ths or 1/2 of an inch.
But what im concerned mostly about, is say, im in 2nd gear with clutch down, then let off the clutch, it grabs like normal, but if i do it too fast it makes a huge "clunk" sound, it didn't do that before i noticed the shifter moving, and even when i let off the clutch slowly it sometimes still makes that clunk sound. its super noticeable, i woulda seen it before, but it just started to happen.

unless you have an after market exhaust, if you do the counter weight looking thing on the shifter linkage up where it bolts to your shifter, can rub on the exhaust big time and clunk and rattle and makes 1st and 2nd tough to shift into, my roommate experienced this with his 94 integra ls, we had to drop the exhaust and then the back half of the linkage and dremel this piece off. problem solved for us. had to do the same thing to his da integra too.

also check your shifter try pulling up and down on it if it moves at all you need a new shifter bushing, a bad bushing here can make shifting sloppy and even possibly missed from time to time.
By JdmJin
#176277 lol well i do have an aftermarket exhaust;
Im also noticing that clunk notice in 4th gear, and my engine shakes a lot, sorry im not sure if all this is normal, ive only had one previous car and never had any problems with it other than it burned a lot of oil hahaha

more bad luck today - failed emissions :x

This ZC engine is trouble lol.