General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:my friend. this is what you need to do. decide if you want to put in a swap or not. ther is no welding required for a b18b1 swap. yes you need a b series tranny. your tranny will not work. d trans go on d motors, b trans go on b motors. and if you order off of hmotors.com the engines come from japan. with low milage. to your door step. ready to slap in..
Thanks alot.. this is all alittle new to me... your suggestions are very helpful.. keep in mind I am pretty fresh with all this stuff but once I get the hang ot this I'll be up and ruinning...
By egsedanguy
#157211 here is a good word of advise for you. you wont understand how easy working on are civics is, untill you work on it yourself :thumb:

start working on it. you will understand soon enough :D
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:here is a good word of advise for you. you wont understand how easy working on are civics is, untill you work on it yourself :thumb:

start working on it. you will understand soon enough :D

Boy ! That B18B is quite beyond my budget ! by the time I'm done with it it'll cost me almost $2500+. I think I'd rather stay with the D15B VTEC... it fit my budget better....
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:your choice. but you can find a used one from somone for a lot cheaper. just have to make sure it runs good and shit. but good luck either way :thumb:

I wanted to buy a japenese VTEC engine but the seller told me that my 92 civic is not wired for a VTEC... If so, what does it involve putting in the right wire harness and I would imaging it is for the ECU... could the engine run without it ?
By egsedanguy
#162108 yes it will run wiothout it. but what the point of that. you have to wire up the v-tec to the ecu. or buy yourself a v-tec harness. witch if you bout a full swap it should come with the correct harness.
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:yes it will run wiothout it. but what the point of that. you have to wire up the v-tec to the ecu. or buy yourself a v-tec harness. witch if you bout a full swap it should come with the correct harness.
OK , does a full swap mean it comes with the transmission as well... I don't think I need a transmission as the one I currently have is good.. or can I just get a full swap engine only ? The thing is they don't advertise them as a full swap so how should I know ?
By egsedanguy
#162268 yes you can buy full swap or just motor. the price diff is not gonna be very much with or without tranny. remember, your tranny has miles on it, most the wesited that sell motors have btween 25-35k miles. so why not get all the original stuff rather than bolting on a used beat up tranny on a nice fresh motor. plus save your self the time of taking off and put on your tranny.. so what have you decided to do??????i mean what motor?
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:yes you can buy full swap or just motor. the price diff is not gonna be very much with or without tranny. remember, your tranny has miles on it, most the wesited that sell motors have btween 25-35k miles. so why not get all the original stuff rather than bolting on a used beat up tranny on a nice fresh motor. plus save your self the time of taking off and put on your tranny.. so what have you decided to do??????i mean what motor?
Thanks again.. I will take your advice and go along with the full swap motor and tranny. I think the D15B VTEC will be the right choice for me and shouldn't involve messing with other parts.. If you know of someone selling them inexpensive for around 600 bucks let me know.. Thanks Again
By egsedanguy
#162340 yup no problem man. plus i belive the tranny is diff. has shorter gears. dont take my word on that im not really sure. but if i come across one sure ill pm you. but i dont look into d motors anymore. i have a d series but its a non vtec d15. :(
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:yup no problem man. plus i belive the tranny is diff. has shorter gears. dont take my word on that im not really sure. but if i come across one sure ill pm you. but i dont look into d motors anymore. i have a d series but its a non vtec d15. :(
I have been meaning to ask you... as I told you before, there is one cylinder with 0 compression but I see that my car can still run 60-70 mph... yes there is a roughness when I start and stop but will running on 3 cylinders hurt the engine ?
By egsedanguy
#162587 um ya it will eventualy . it will start to tear up the cylinder wall if the rings are fryed. also 1 easy fix if you wanna save mony, is just buy a block thats in good shape, that has all the guts in it. and rebuild it with new rings, seals, and bearings and put it in your car with your head. that would be your best bet.
By egsedanguy
Enzyday09 wrote:Great forum guys. I am going to change oil. Can anyone tell me what the torque settings are for the 17mm oil drain plug for CX-7?

Thanks

well thanks for the comp on the site. :thumb: but in order to keep this site the way it is can be dificult. first you need to read the rules and guidlines on post new threads. this one is for jmoshe on his question. try not to thread jack. also this will not help you asking questions on someone elses post. start a post in the correct section. but since you have already asked, just tighten it nice and snugg. dont try to crank it on it will strip. but like 9lbs should be more than enough. even 7lbs. :thumb:
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:yup no problem man. plus i belive the tranny is diff. has shorter gears. dont take my word on that im not really sure. but if i come across one sure ill pm you. but i dont look into d motors anymore. i have a d series but its a non vtec d15. :(

Could you teel me the difference in performance between the D15b 1.5 L versus the 1.6 L...