General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:well if you wanna replace the valve seal you have to pull the head. and if you do that i would sujest replacing the head gasket to...
:) :) Thanks..
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:well if its a stock 92 lx you have a d15. my car is a 93 lx. if your looking to just swap in the stock motor then your not gaining anything. but it will be the cheapest rout. but if you would like to have some more power, with only a lil more out of pocket, but goes in just as easy as the stock motor, get a b18b1 from a 95-98 integra... you will not be mad when its in.. trust me.. plus you will have tons more upgrades for the b18. like we said, go online and buy the full swap. then you will have everything you need. otherwise check that o ring. just pull off the valve cover and you will see 4 rubber rings were the sparkplugs are. run to autozone or what ever you perfer and pick up a set of new ones. should only run you like 5 buck :thumb:

I am not sure if I have the original stock motor as I purchased this care several years ago. I cannot find the motor number on the motor. Where can I look to find what model motor I have.. All I see is Honda on the top of the motor...
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:well if its a stock 92 lx you have a d15. my car is a 93 lx. if your looking to just swap in the stock motor then your not gaining anything. but it will be the cheapest rout. but if you would like to have some more power, with only a lil more out of pocket, but goes in just as easy as the stock motor, get a b18b1 from a 95-98 integra... you will not be mad when its in.. trust me.. plus you will have tons more upgrades for the b18. like we said, go online and buy the full swap. then you will have everything you need. otherwise check that o ring. just pull off the valve cover and you will see 4 rubber rings were the sparkplugs are. run to autozone or what ever you perfer and pick up a set of new ones. should only run you like 5 buck :thumb:

How to I find the model/series of my motor ? I have Honda on top. ?
By chrono404
jmoshe wrote:How to I find the model/series of my motor ? I have Honda on top. ?

to the Left of your Exhaust Header will be a flat surface on your engine block saying something like "D15b7" That is your engine code.
By jmoshe
chrono404 wrote:
jmoshe wrote:How to I find the model/series of my motor ? I have Honda on top. ?

to the Left of your Exhaust Header will be a flat surface on your engine block saying something like "D15b7" That is your engine code.
:thumb:
By jmoshe
jmoshe wrote:
chrono404 wrote:

:thumb:

I checked compression this morning...
Clyinder 1 = 180
Cylinder 2 = 200
Cylinder 3 = 0
Cylinder 4 = 190.

Then I put in some oil (about 4 tablespoons of oil) in Cylinder # 3 and it went up to 30.

I think the piston rings of cyl. # 3 are totally busted... what do you think ? and what's the next step ?
By Dippin_EG
#156636 if the piston ring is gone in that cylinder, the engine block needs to be rebuilt. You will need all piston rings, and rod bearings. as well as the necessary gaskets
By egsedanguy
Dippin_EG wrote:if the piston ring is gone in that cylinder, the engine block needs to be rebuilt. You will need all piston rings, and rod bearings. as well as the necessary gaskets

X2

guess its time to swap in a ls :thumb:
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:
Dippin_EG wrote:if the piston ring is gone in that cylinder, the engine block needs to be rebuilt. You will need all piston rings, and rod bearings. as well as the necessary gaskets

X2

guess its time to swap in a ls :thumb:
Will it be economical to just swap an engine than rebuild ?
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:well it is easy. all you need is a basic tool set. 6mm,8mm.10mm,12mm,14mm,17mm and a axel socket. braker bar, jack, and thats about it.. like i said it was also my first swap when i did mine.. jack up the front, remove front wheels and remove axel nut, and lower ball joint. then slip the axels out. next diss connect all wires from motor, and radiator hose, power steering line and fuel line, be sure not to lose the 2 copper washers from the fuel line, also just pull the radiator out to guve more room. next you need to unbolt the header from the exaust then disconect the shift linkage. once you have done this you will have 2 staibleizer mounts in the front, the mount on the pass side, driver side and on the fire wall. and blam it will be out.. you can take the motor out from the bottom if you dont have a engine hoist, just have to get the front up as high as possible. just use a jack to help lower the motor down and slid it out. then repeat backward to install. :thumb: if you and atleast 1 more person do this you will have it swaped in a few hours. trust me its cake. i hardly even got my hands dirty doing mine. but i swaped in a b seris motor, not just the same motor. and it was my first honda swap. i didnt have a manuel. but the haynes repair manuel is the best one :thumb: so when you start the swap and run into any problems you can come on here and ther will be someone to help :thumb:

I have been quite inspired from you about doing the engine swap myself. I have the d15b engine and I want to put in a d15b Vtec. I understand it can easily replaced . Do you have any idea about this and would there be any items I would need to add/modify to do this upgrade ?
By egsedanguy
#156983 i would say ecu and run the v-tec wires. all your axels and stuff will all be the same. same engine just vtec. and im sertin somone on here will tell you exactly what to do. im not familuer with the vtec wiring.
By jmoshe
egsedanguy wrote:i would say ecu and run the v-tec wires. all your axels and stuff will all be the same. same engine just vtec. and im sertin somone on here will tell you exactly what to do. im not familuer with the vtec wiring.
OK.. I have located this HONDA CIVIC EG/EJ OBD1 D15B SOHC VTEC ENGINE which I am about to order.... I am not familiar with the codes ( EG/EJ OBD1 ) but would this be a good swap for the d15B ?. Also, is the ECU that you say is the Electronic Control Unit and should I ask the seller to provide me with one ?
By jmoshe
jmoshe wrote:
egsedanguy wrote:i would say ecu and run the v-tec wires. all your axels and stuff will all be the same. same engine just vtec. and im sertin somone on here will tell you exactly what to do. im not familuer with the vtec wiring.
OK.. I have located this HONDA CIVIC EG/EJ OBD1 D15B SOHC VTEC ENGINE which I am about to order.... I am not familiar with the codes ( EG/EJ OBD1 ) but would this be a good swap for the d15B ?. Also, is the ECU that you say is the Electronic Control Unit and should I ask the seller to provide me with one ?
Here is the link to this engine... take a moment to look at it and give me your opinion...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
By Dippin_EG
#157063 If that is the engine and trans, id say go for it.
If its just the engine... id probably save a little more and get a b18b swap
By jmoshe
Dippin_EG wrote:If that is the engine and trans, id say go for it.
If its just the engine... id probably save a little more and get a b18b swap
Just out of curiosity... why a b18b ? is it better ? more economical ? is it a direct swap ?