Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By HondaHart
#76062 Hello,
I'm new to the forum but not so new to honda. There's a lot of information here and a greatly organized place. But i need your help buddies. I've totaled my 02 civic ep3 and I'm about to move to the almighty EG civic sedan.
But it's AUTOMATIC. I don't have a problem with automatic infact at times I really didn't like shifting at all ( laziness kicks in in traffic and in neighborhoods)

I'm aiming to swap in a b20 and go from there but now that i'm thinking about it(though many will hate me for it) I think i'd like to keep it auto. if I can find good answers to my questions I could make the decision alot faster. My power goals are only 200+ whp and maybe more. which shouldn't be too hard. but im wondering:

Is there any auto transmission that would compliment the b20 better?
What upgrades can I do for a automatic tranny to handle boost and power? also better throttle response?
I'm not a fan of Dseries only because of the $$$ needed to get it to a stock b16 BUT do any of you know any good builds for a d series? ( and i dont just mean turbo then done i mean a actual BUILD)

Just let me know. I'm sure more thoughts will come up but i've always wanted to build a "sport sedan" modded more towards the luxary side and with enough power to say "bet you didn't see that coming" Hehe
By tigerafro
#76068 i know you can't boost turbo on an auto because the auto tranny is pretty weak.
By HondaHart
#76078 Maybe a good NA build would work?
By chrono404
#76087 a B20vtec with a LS Auto Tranny could work, Would have to figure out the Vtec wiring.

I have thought of putting the Rods and Crank from a GSR2.0 stroker kit into a B20, Or a get B20 stroker and make it into a 2.2-2.4liter Put on the Vtec head and Nitrous it to make my power goals.

Autos are very convent for driving in the city and highways, However Manuals are much more fun when you get out and play. Thats why I have both a 01 Integra LS Auto(all stock) and a '94 Civic(Very not stock).
By HondaHart
#76110 i see i might be able to pull that off. though with my budget the auto will be a straight beater. i know manuals are fun though i guess you just can't get past that :P
By asianrob
chrono404 wrote:a B20vtec with a LS Auto Tranny could work, Would have to figure out the Vtec wiring.

whats there to figure out on the wiring?.... jsut use an Auto EX harness.....use an auto P30/P28/P72 ECU a JDM car and throw a map on it... just have to get a better torque converter and hope the trans can handle it..
By ohDirka
DC4rob wrote:
chrono404 wrote:a B20vtec with a LS Auto Tranny could work, Would have to figure out the Vtec wiring.

whats there to figure out on the wiring?.... jsut use an Auto EX harness.....use an auto P30/P28/P72 ECU a JDM car and throw a map on it... just have to get a better torque converter and hope the trans can handle it..

x2
By Greasedmonkey
tigerafro wrote:i know you can't boost turbo on an auto because the auto tranny is pretty weak.

Wrong. You can turbo an auto. Ive had a friend that had one. Its just like any other part on the car that cant handle that much power. You just cant boost the shit out of it. He had a stock tranny with something like 6 psi. it held up just fine. It wasnt FAST, but it was quick.
By HondaHart
#76246 But what can be done to a auto tranny to withstand maybe up to 10psi
By dogfight
#76610 do it :thumb:

ive driven a friend's EK sedan which was powered by an automatic B20.

happy with it haha it was a sleeper considering the car was sleepy looking
By Sentry
HondaHart wrote:But what can be done to a auto tranny to withstand maybe up to 10psi

Fuck if I know, the transmission isn't what's seeing boost. :thumb:
By marvinp8700
Sentry wrote:
HondaHart wrote:But what can be done to a auto tranny to withstand maybe up to 10psi

Fuck if I know, the transmission isn't what's seeing boost. :thumb:

yeah just hp and torque :thumbdown:
not so good on autos
By chrono404
#76701 PSi means next to nothing, Its how much air the Turbos Moving. 10 psi on a Small Turbo and 10 psi on a Big Turbo, or even a Medium Sized Turbo are much much different.

That Aside, A B20 Automatic with some help would be fun, Be it by Nitrous or Boost. Then you would have the comfort of an automatic, as well as most of the power of a b20. a Boosted B20 Auto would be fun to take to the Races.

Every time I reread this thread I am closer to putting the bottle on my Auto Integra LS.

The Good side about Going Automatic B Series is Transmissions are Cheap, Looking On Craigslist Locally they go for about the Same as a D Series Transmission. :thumb: