Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By silverEG8
#358721 Hello civic-eg,

My speedometer is not functioning. It started out as sort of a glitch, where my speedometer needle would fluctuate at times whenever it would come across potholes. But just last Saturday, My wife and I went to the doctor for a check up, during the trip, funny that I didn't notice the speedometer needle wasn't running anymore, because my trip meter didn't register the trip with my wife going to the doctor.

I had my vehicle speed sensor checked and found out that it wasn't busted at all. So the problem is cut down into four areas, the plug, the wiring, the speedometer gauge, and the mechanism in the transmission which connects the speed sensor. Is my analysis correct? I hope you can help me with this.

Any suggestions as to what I must do?

Thanks a lot.
By teal_dx
#358723 Sounds correct to me. The VSS is usually the culprit, but a faulty VSS will give a check engine light. So I'd start by checking the wiring and then the gauge itself. I've never heard of the mechanism in the transmission failing, so I think you're safe there.
By silverEG8
#358729 Thanks a lot Teal, I failed to notice the check engine too. Haha. I have a hunch it is in the wiring, or probably the gauge... though I just replaced the gauge cluster with a JDM surplus two years ago.
By TrailerTrash
#358732 my womans first civic had this exact same problem. turned out to be one of the pins in the engine harness side of the VSS plug. it had corroded away to nothing
By silverEG8
TrailerTrash wrote:my womans first civic had this exact same problem. turned out to be one of the pins in the engine harness side of the VSS plug. it had corroded away to nothing

Thanks for the info Trailer, I will check the VSS plug.
By silverEG8
#358736 Finally, I was able to fix the vehicle speed sensor. I just cleaned out the old dried-up grease inside the VSS and replaced it with a new one.
By TrailerTrash
#358737 right on man