Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By imtyson
#356178 so i have a 92 civic sedan which i have stated on this forum before, but for some reason its not letting me post in it cause its locked.

teal suggested that it was my dizzy that caused the problem. because when i did the paperclip method to get check engine light codes it lights up code 4.

code four signifies crank position sensor. since my motor is a d15b7 motor the crank position sensor is in the dizzy. i replaced the dizzy and the problem still persists. :(

so heres the run down. when i start the car it has no check engine light being thrown. the only time the check engine light comes on is when i hit highway speeds for about 2 minutes the check engine light will come on then run like crap. i believe this is called limp mode.

when i step on the gas petal with the check engine light on it just backfires... and there is no power at all. however, the check engine light only comes on sometimes. which drives me crazy!! not all the time!

can anyone give me an insight on where to start please. i check all the fuses and they all seem to be fine.
By Loaf31
#356188 Does it idle normally?

I'd start by checking your ignition timing. use the paper clip in the service port. Then, with the paperclip in, start the car and use a timing light and point it at the crank pulley. the marker on the Lower timing belt cover should line up in between the 3 lines on the crank pulley when you're looking at them from straight above. if they dont, then your ignition timing is off.
By imtyson
#356195 hey loa,

i read about ignition timing as well and i plan to rent one at autozone to check and see. however, shouldnt it always run crappy if timing is off? the car idle fine when there is no check engine light, but when its on it idles low.

limp mode will usually turn on if i drive for awhile and then come to a stop. letting it idle in neutral it will stutter then check engine light will come on and run like crap afterwards.

just weird to me cause it only occurs if i usually slow down to let off gas.

maybe when i let off gas it doesnt get enough spark?

another thing, when its in limp mode i smell usually burning gas.