Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By imtyson
#354161 Hey guys i have a 92 civic sedan that has the stock motor d15b7.

I just have a question about why my car goes into limp mode if thats what you call it.

the car only goes into limp mode when its either hot, the car has already been warm, or if you start the car then shut the car off and turn it back on again.

while you're driving on the highway going about 60-70 mph the car will suddenly jerk and the check engine light will pop on.

the car then will lose most of its power. and if you give it more gas it will bog and make it sound like a tank. also has a smell of gas. might be running rich.

the check engine light will turn off if you turn the car off. so i checked the code when the car was on, and it came up with crank position sensor. i researched and it said its placed in the distributor. just making sure if this would be the correct direction im going in, by replacing dizzy.
By teal_dx
#354177 You're right on :thumb: OBD1 cicivs had that sensor in the dizzy.
1992 d15b7's had a batch of distributors which go bad. When mine went bad back in the day, the CEL came on driving on the hwy and by the time I got home the izzy was squealing and the bearings were so bad I could barely turn the dizzy by hand after taking it off the car. (crank position sensor cel was on I'm guessing because of so much resistance to turn the dizzy, making timing difficult.) It may be the same for yours, if its the original one.

Mark the position of the distributor on the head before pulling it off. See if it spins freely- if so, just replace the sensor :thumb:
By imtyson
#354230 thanks teal!

the only issue is its kind of hard to find the crank position sensor haha.