Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By 92civicEGsedan
#346080 Has anyone done or seen someone taken the rear seats out of a 4 door civic and put in two racing seats instead I saw a picture of a different car earlier with bucket seats In rear but it wasn't a civic but I like the idea and wondered if it's been done before
By Leppy
#346081 Thinking out loud:

The rear seat cushion sits flat on a higher surface because it's right on top of the fuel tank...

The rear seat back also doesn't go as high...

I'd think it would be possible if you find some low back seats, weld in some super flat brackets in place of the sliders, and VERY carefully weld in some threaded nuts to the floor (recommend either dropping the fuel tank or separating the tank from your sparks/heat) and bolting it down.

Also, you'd have to extend the carpet to cover the place where the old rear seat cushion was, and cut a flap or fab up a panel for the fuel pump access.

So what I'm saying is I think it can be done, yes, but not an easy bolt on affair.
By 92civicEGsedan
Leppy wrote:Thinking out loud:

The rear seat cushion sits flat on a higher surface because it's right on top of the fuel tank...

The rear seat back also doesn't go as high...

I'd think it would be possible if you find some low back seats, weld in some super flat brackets in place of the sliders, and VERY carefully weld in some threaded nuts to the floor (recommend either dropping the fuel tank or separating the tank from your sparks/heat) and bolting it down.

Also, you'd have to extend the carpet to cover the place where the old rear seat cushion was, and cut a flap or fab up a panel for the fuel pump access.

So what I'm saying is I think it can be done, yes, but not an easy bolt on affair.

You had the same idea as me about going about it, but I was just wanting to know if anyone has seen it done in a civic. I love the concept of it and the look and wonder if there would be any weight saving by doing it. All about some weight reduction cause racecar haha.
By tom023
#346092 It would definitely be interesting to see, but seems like a lot of hassle. If you're building a race car wouldn't it be better to just cut the excess weight and not have back seats?
By lonemeno
#346094 take the kids/buds to fun world because MPGS :eh:
By 92civicEGsedan
tom023 wrote:It would definitely be interesting to see, but seems like a lot of hassle. If you're building a race car wouldn't it be better to just cut the excess weight and not have back seats?

Yeah it would but since my car is my dd and I have a little sister and my gf has little sisters that ride with us occasionally I still need atleast 2 seats in the back so that's why having them would still benefit me just the stock back seat doesn't benefit me.