Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By silverEG8
#342398 I was cleaning my engine bay last night and found this charcoal canister. Actually I have a vague idea what it's for.. Some sort of a filter? :?

What's odd is, the top part which has two outlets--the other outlet is not connect to any part of the engine. I'm guessing, it should be connected, but appears to have been pulled off. And its bottom part is not connected to any hose. And to think that I have been driving with all theses hoses disconnected. :o

Near the charcoal canister I found a hose, again guessing that it should be connecte to something. Could this hose have something to do with the charcoal canister? :?

I have posted pictures

This is the mysterious hose, could this be part of the charcoal canister?

The charcoal canister. The hose connection on the left is pulled off from somewhere.

This is the end of the hose on the left of the charcoal canister.

This the the bottom of the charcoal canister.
By eg84dr
#343523 i still say junk
i ripped all mine out and i was getting 38-40 mpg highway
:?
edit: could very well help your car in the philipines where the fuel is diffrent then usa
By teal_dx
#343525 Honda wouldn't have put it there if it wasn't a good idea :wink:

That reminds me i read somewhere else that they only last for a certain # of years and then they lose a lot of their effectiveness.

I took mine out when I boosted my sohc because it no longer had the vacuum it needed to operate properly.
By silverEG8
#343528 Thanks guys. At least now I know what to do with them. Having those around and probably useless by now makes them an eye sore. Hahaha :D
By brandoff88
#343538 one hose goes from that to the top of the tb, and one goes to the fuel lines, and one goes to the evap or purge valve on the intake manifold, I believe the fuel one helps reduce the pressure/fumes in the fuel lines, and i believe the other sucks out excuess air into the canister from the tb when it closes, similar to a blow off valve only your not in boost..and obviously the last one has to do with emissions as well lol...I just leave mine connected and left the nipple on the bottom open...the hose that comes off there just dumps under the subframe...its just to vent the canister...this is all from what I understand anyway...if im wrong someone speak up lol. so you don't really need it per say, but I like to leave it so I don't have all these random hoses unplugged lol
By silverEG8
brandoff88 wrote:one hose goes from that to the top of the tb, and one goes to the fuel lines, and one goes to the evap or purge valve on the intake manifold, I believe the fuel one helps reduce the pressure/fumes in the fuel lines, and i believe the other sucks out excuess air into the canister from the tb when it closes, similar to a blow off valve only your not in boost..and obviously the last one has to do with emissions as well lol...I just leave mine connected and left the nipple on the bottom open...the hose that comes off there just dumps under the subframe...its just to vent the canister...this is all from what I understand anyway...if im wrong someone speak up lol. so you don't really need it per say, but I like to leave it so I don't have all these random hoses unplugged lol

So it's ok to leave the bottom of the cannister unconnected.
By brandoff88
#343565 its what I did on my other one and it never had a problem..might get a bit dirty down there but nothing a good powerwash wont fix :hehe:
By TrailerTrash
#343573 i drove about 30k miles in my coupe with the charcoal canister not hooked up. got 40-45mpg the whole time. there was no line at all that went from the canister to the throttle body and the purge solenoid was just ziptied to the firewall not actually plumbed into the intake manifold cause its a jdm d15b. i didnt notice a single problem. i hooked a line up to the throttle body last year but didnt notice a dam thing.

it aint doing me any good i say its junk