Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By xwhitchx
#333340 So I got my girl friend a cheap 4 door eg that was stolen before and the people just wanted to sell it, it was missing very little and nothing whats cut on any of the wires in the engine bay but it seems they didn't want to unplug the ecu so they just cut it out. I got some ecu plugs in the junk yard with the wires on then, I was just going to go in and put all the wires together by color....well that is tell I found out that there are more then one of each color wire one that is ground and one that is power. I don't what to cross anything like that, so what I'm going to do now is pull the full harness out of the car and get a used one from the junk yard but I don't know if i need to remove the dash and how much I'm going to have to take out to get what I need. So if anyone can tell me what I'M going to need to do or have a link to a DIY. After this is done the car will be ready to start and drive.
By panic989
#333357 The under dash harness is a PITA because it spans the entire length of the car. Literally head light to tail lights. If you want to see most of the harness just remove your kick panels, glove box, and your gauge cluster and ta da you can see most of it. Fuel pump wires and more run along the driver side, USDM so left side, of the vehicle under the little kick panel that runs along the door then somewhere under the carpet and up through the middle of the rear seat and into the fuel pump. I've never seen where the tail light harness goes but I would assume along the doors. It's going to be a lot of work to put in a whole new harness. You're best bet would be a voltmeter and a ECU pin out diagram, which I believe can be found in the electrical section here, and follow the wires and figure out what is what then solder.
By nd1983
#333358 if i were you i'd find a car in the scrap yard exactly like yours and cut off a good length of wire with the plug and just solder and heat shrink the new end to the old wires. the colors should be 100% the same which makes it almost impossible to screw up.
By panic989
#333362 The only problem with that is there are wires that extremely similar and a few that have doubles our even triples of the same color.
By nicksdelslow
#333371 The under dash harness is under the insulation mat under the dash on the fire wall u will need to pull the blower motor box ac box and vent switching unit, and it helps to remove steering column due to the plastic guard on the wires behind the pedal assemblies. Everything else such as fuel pump and brake lights and such unplugs at kick pannels or fuse box. Done this multiple time it's a huge PITA.
By panic989
#333372 Ok see that makes more sense. I don't have an climate control pieces in my car so everything is essentially sitting in the open. Thanks for clearing that up as I'm sure the OP has AC and heater. Lol
By xwhitchx
#333502 Well thank you for all that, I went to the junk yard and got the full harness out of a lx civic 4 door, it really was not that hard to get out and put in. I did remove everything from the dash up, and the driver and pass seat. I tried to keep the ac in but it seems that there is no room for that so out came every thing, I the new on in now and I have the car running like a dream now. I just need to see how it drives now.

only problems I had really:
1. the brake switch in the dx is not the same plug as the lx (dx 2 pin v.s. lx 4 pin)
2. the right door wires are for all the power stuff and the dx only has a 2 wire plug.

The wires on both are the same colors as I need for the brakes, but for the door I need to test them all.
By 92civic_vx
#333587 the two wires for the door should be just speaker wires, depin the 2 wires and put them in your 2pin connecter.

from what i see in my haynes book, the 2 pin brake switch is for with out cruise control, 4 pin is with cruise. looking at the switch the top pin is "B" bottom is "C". on the 4 pin switch left top is "A" right top "B" left bottom "C" right bottom "D". not sure of the colors, ill check the wire diagram to try and find the color to swap.