Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By 8lackeg8
#319042 ok hi you guys so im fearly new here this is my first civic and i have a huge problem.
so i got the civic because it was cheap but now i dont know why it wont start.
Here is what happens so the battery is fresh and good i turn the key and it turns over n turns on but after i turn the ignition off and let it cool down i go out to turn it on late at night it wont start but i heard a clicking noise under the dash. everytime i turn the ignition switch... so is there a certain relay i should look at?
By JohnRM
#319045 You said that the battery is "fresh and good". but how new is it? A lot of times, the cause of the clicking is the battery. It doesn't have enough power to start the car
By bradleyg
#319048 First thing you should try to do is disconnect the battery and then clean the battery posts and terminals, after that put the cables back on the battery and make sure they have good contact and are tight.
By 8lackeg8
#319049 just disconnected the post and cleaned them up and it still didnt start then got a jump start and turned on like a champ drove it down the street and up and all is good. Do u guys think it may be the starter sucking too much charge?
By bigJOE671
8lackeg8 wrote:ok hi you guys so im fearly new here this is my first civic and i have a huge problem.
so i got the civic because it was cheap but now i dont know why it wont start.
Here is what happens so the battery is fresh and good i turn the key and it turns over n turns on but after i turn the ignition off and let it cool down i go out to turn it on late at night it wont start but i heard a clicking noise under the dash. everytime i turn the ignition switch... so is there a certain relay i should look at?

So what does "fresh and good" mean? Your definition can be different from our (forum) definition?

After you shut it off how long did you let it cool down?

The clicking noise is your Main Relay (arrow pointed to it in pic)

By your meaning "it won't start" does that mean the engine cranks over but won't run or the engine can barely crank over?
By bradleyg
8lackeg8 wrote:just disconnected the post and cleaned them up and it still didnt start then got a jump start and turned on like a champ drove it down the street and up and all is good. Do u guys think it may be the starter sucking too much charge?

If it started with a jumpstart then you need to replace your battery.
By 8lackeg8
#319078 all i can hear is a clicking noise under the dash. and it turns over bearly when the battery is fully charged. oo and the battery is brand new. ok so thats the main relay. u guys are a lot of help.
By 8lackeg8
#319079 all i can hear is a clicking noise under the dash. and it turns over bearly when the battery is fully charged. oo and the battery is brand new. ok so thats the main relay. u guys are a lot of help.
By bigJOE671
8lackeg8 wrote:all i can hear is a clicking noise under the dash. and it turns over bearly when the battery is fully charged. oo and the battery is brand new. ok so thats the main relay. u guys are a lot of help.

What volts is your battery putting out when fully charged? Test 15 minutes after fully charged

Check your grounding points in the engine bay and see if any of them are corroded. if so, clean them.
By 8lackeg8
#319091 thank you for all the great ideas to look at i finally found out that it was the starter. iI just went to get one from autozone and it now runs and turns on at every key turn lovin my eg8 all over again!!!!!

oooo but i did have another question tho.

if i get a cluster from an lx with tach is it juat plug n play?
By Ajax1989
#319093 Yea its pluf n play
By GotHatch?
#319095 Check your grounds before you go running off and replacing anything. My car got to where it would start fine jumping or roll starting it but wouldn't start on its own, turned out to be a bad ground between the engine, body, and battery.
By 8lackeg8
#319096 the real test is letting it sit after a few hours and thats when it wouldnt start anymore so im waiting till tomorrow to find out if its all ok but it was starting without any hesitation after the install. but yeah we shall see..ooo so how hard is it to get the armrest? and changing the dash?? because i got all grey panels and dash with rear seats for 50$
By 8lackeg8
#319098 ok you guys still one problem battery is dying while just sitting while off.. any ideas on what it may be?