Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By neo27ny
#268102 I am putting new oem replacement exhaust on my car. I am trying to piece this together without any reference cause the car had no muffler on it when i got it. My question is what gasket do I need for the rear muffler joint and which bolts? Is it the small circular gasket and spring bolts?
By asianrob
#268192 from factory i think it doesnt have a gasket. and yes spring bolts on that section as well. if there was a gasket for the factory one i think it would be the donut gasket style
By neo27ny
#269088 Ok I called the auto parts and they are saying it shows the ring style gasket for the muffler. It looks like a donut gasket should go there. Anyway I've run into problems before I can get to that. I need some help maybe someone ran into this before. I got brand new cheap replacement exhaust, mid section and muffler coupled with a cheap SS header and cat. My problem is it isn't long enough and doesn't line up correctly. I have a big gap between the connections and the exhaust hangers are off far enough that I can't get them on. It's gotta be a good 2-3 inch gap that it's off. I tried everything it just isn't long enough. I was reading online that you need to mod a header to work with the LX models is this correct? Something about the resonator being built into the header. Mine wasn't like that but anyway I could use some help and tips to get this exhaust bolted up. Thanks.

*only thing I can think of is to weld a coupler into the pipe to extend it enough to fit, think that would work?
By neo27ny
#269089 I was just thinking maybe I got the coupe parts instead of the sedan. Is there a length difference between the two on the exhaust? In the auto parts online it doesn't have an option for body style just make/model and engine.
By Mr. Pink
#269095 i believe the coupe and sedan's exhaust is the same.
By asianrob
#269169 the LX header is set up like the EX header.

you can use 94-97 GSR coupe cat back. flip the middle hanger up side down and it fits perfectly

i personally have 96-98 DX sedan exhaust it bolts up and sits nicely. just make sure it sits on the rubber hangers all the way.

you can use 92-00 coupe exhaust

the 96+ will not have a cat on it if you get the DX verison. but is still quiet and sounds nice.
By neo27ny
#269256 Yea thanks for the replies but I already have the full exhaust and don't want to buy another and waste the money. I just went to autozone and bought a 1 3/4" coupler, lined everything up and marked it first so the flange is at the correct angle and used it to extend the exhaust the extra length. I matched it up with the stock one and everything seems to line up with it after extending it about 2 inches behind the flange to the cat. Now I'm just waiting to get it welded. I don't have my own welder atm which sucks. Thanks for the replies though. It should work fine, it's just going to be my beater dd until I start getting the money and parts to swap a B into it.
By neo27ny
#271149 Is there a reason why spring bolts are required on the muffler to the mid pipe? I think I posted before about the gasket. It comes up at the auto parts as using a ring gasket but I think a donut gasket would fit better. Anyway my problem is the spring bolts are bottoming out before the connection is even close. I am thinking about using regular bolts and lock nuts. Anyone see any reason why I couldn't? Thanks.
By asianrob
#271295 i think it is required because it moves or flexes when your motor moves forward and back and etc..
By neo27ny
#271343 I see, well there is no way I can fit spring bolts in the back. Like I said they bottom out before it tightens even close.
By neo27ny
#271542 I'm pissed off cause this exhaust I bought was supposed to be a direct fit oem repalcement and nothing is lining up right. I had to cut and weld to extend it another 2 inches. It's also angled wrong, I can either connect the middle two rubber hangers or connect the catalytic. When it's on the hangers it sits up to high to connect the cat. I don't see any way of cutting/welding or anything else to make it fit. Then the mid pipe to muffler doesn't connect with the spring bolts. I don't know what to do.
By neo27ny
#271934 I was out messing with the exhaust some more. It appears the header I bought does not hang correctly. I mounted the new cat on the old stock manifold and it seems to be up more where it belongs. Now I just have to see about getting the rest to fit and line up correctly.
By neo27ny
#271941 Finally got the exhaust on, but the gasket they gave me for the back was a hair too big, it has a leak. It's the ring style gasket, it looks like it takes a donut gasket. I called back a couple different parts stores and thats the only part they have listed for it. They don't sell donut gaskets by size either. The back pipe leading into the muffler is 1.75" I believe. It has a short piece of pipe coming out that it looks like I could slide a donut gasket on and it rests against a back flange. OBX makes universal gaskets but I don't want to order one and have to wait if it's not going to work. Any ideas?
By neo27ny
#272051 nvm, I ended up going to napa to size up the one they gave me with a new one to see if they gave me the right one. He ended up pulling out a donut gasket that worked perfect. Advance and auto zone both said it was the ring type.