Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By #ROBIN#
#259541 Hey guys i have fitted a greddy oil cooler, will i experience oil pressure problems?

i have a b18b motor and its the sandwitch type oil cooler.
I haven't experienced anything bad yet also havent driven the car hard yet, just playing it safe.

Thanks in Anticipation
:thumb:
By #ROBIN#
#259772 okay, no one fitted an oil cooler to your cars :? lol. anyway then i will do a review on this product...

Hardware: this kit comes with clamps, hoses and fittings.

Estimated Time Taken: 1-2 hrs (depending if you gonna do it with oil drained or not)

Tools Needed: get all your wrenches (i worked in metric wrenches so i dont know what they are for other countries); hoist (makes things easier, you will see at the end why);light; and a few rags...

Installation: I have removed my aircon so therefore i had space to play with, if you want to keep you ac unit then there is ample space infront of your radiator (i woudnt do this as we have quite small radiators, choice is yours) . I then mounted the oil cooler to where the ac rad use to be, ran the pipes same way as the ac pipes ran and behind my intake manifold and down towards the oil filter. now that you have that sorted, you now have to carefully (if you want to re-use it) remove your old oil filter (i suggest you drain your oil before doing this, less messy), tighten up pipes that go into your oil sandwitch (before fitting brass fittings add some thread tape, just to be safe) and slot the sandwitch in position (where the oil filter use to go) tighten the adapter screw (nice and tight- do not overtighten). then fit your oil filter, AND REMEMBER TO CLEAN all oil that has dripped- so that if there is any oil leaking you can trace it quickly. refill your oil, you will need more oil as you have an oil coole rad to fill aswell.

N.B- CHECK AGAIN IF ALL FITTINGS AND BOLTS ARE PROPERLY TIGHTENED!!!

Now start up (stay in the car when being hoisted up so if there are any leaks you can immediately switch the ignition off) with a buddy checking under your car for any drips- shoudn't be any if you took your time and checked every fitting.

Testing you new oil cooler: to properly test this you will need a oil temp gauge , i do not have one however but if you know your car you will be able to feel a difference after continous hammering.

PRO'S- cooler oil temp, prolonging engine life (thats the only pro i care about) , looks good (not that i care).

CON'S- you have to fill one more pint of oil lol- thats the only con thus far.

well worth the $$$ spent :thumb:
By dbrooks
#259774 NICE! :thumb:
By #ROBIN#
dbrooks wrote:NICE! :thumb:

it is very nice, i got the blue one and it did not look good behind my bumper, somewhat like a neon light lol, so i sprayed it and it looks at home in my engine bay :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#ROBIN# wrote:
dbrooks wrote:NICE! :thumb:

it is very nice, i got the blue one and it did not look good behind my bumper, somewhat like a neon light lol, so i sprayed it and it looks at home in my engine bay :thumb:

pics :thumb:
By dbrooks
#259822 x2 :thumb:
By Gustavo
#259825 Can we get the link of where u bought it?
By Eg6H2D
#259834 You should not have issues for using an oil cooler. iT's good for your Engine. since you have another area now that will take oil you should about another half quart or how ever much Greddy says the capacity or the cooler is..

Keeping the oil cooler lets you maintain that good viscosity of the oil longer. it makes it last longer.. as the engine gets hot and oil gets old it looses it's loobricants and what ever is in the oil that prevents damage to the engine. The Oil cooler helps that not happen so soon..

As in turbo applications the oil gets very hot as the turbo is compressing air and the oil your engine has supplies the turbo to cool it down. Think of it as a another radiator for your car but for the engine oil. the cooler in this case the better...

Best placement for it should be in the front around the radiator so it gets the best air to give the best performance..

If your thinking about your oil PSI droppuing and causing an issue. it shouldnt. everything is sealed. as long as you have no leaks your good to go.

:thumb:
By Eg6H2D
Gustavo wrote:Can we get the link of where u bought it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT
By #ROBIN#
#259891 thanks guys
@eg6b20r - yip thats what i figured . i dont have a link as i bought through a local importer, i can ask him for you guys.

as for pics, like i said in my build thread i will post all pics of my engine bay when everything is done- hopefully soon :thumb:
By asianrob
#259961 the trouble my friend had with that oil cooler is he could not get enough oil pressure.
By #ROBIN#
asianrob wrote:the trouble my friend had with that oil cooler is he could not get enough oil pressure.

can you please explain why asianrob? would be interesting to know
By RWMIII
#ROBIN# wrote:
asianrob wrote:the trouble my friend had with that oil cooler is he could not get enough oil pressure.

Sounds like he had a leak somewhere in the system. It is a sealed unit, so there should be no pressure drop as stated above by EG6b20R
By #ROBIN#
RWMIII wrote:
#ROBIN# wrote:

Sounds like he had a leak somewhere in the system. It is a sealed unit, so there should be no pressure drop as stated above by EG6b20R

yip, i have no leaks whatsoever, checked everyday for the last week and perfect :thumb: ... but i still want to know from asianrob as maybe they experienced other problems that can maybe educate me :thumb:
By asianrob
RWMIII wrote:
#ROBIN# wrote:

his wasnt leaking. i think his lines where too long.