Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By azhar
#256989 hi guys, i got problem with the key and i can't turn my ignition switch on.
the steering wheel also locked. i think this is the time to replace to new one. when i open up the panel, i saw 2 shear bolts that hold the ignition body but i don't know how to remove it. anyone have any idea ? do i need to break it?
By Flatland_EG
#257022 Usually the steering wheel will still move a bit even when it's locked.
Move it in the direction it was locked in and turn the key, it SHOULD allow you to start your car and release the wheel. If not then you have a serious issue.
By chewse
#257038 Clearly u've locked the steering..had a similar experience once I wasn't even aware the the steering wheels on our model was lockable....u just gotta pull the steering to the locked side most time s u gotta pull with the left hand an try to start the car simultaneously
By azhar
#257138 no problems guys, the problem already solved yesterday. i do it myself. wonder how easy it is to remove the two shear bolts. i just remove the steering wheel, take out the electrical panel (signal switches, etc), and then i can clearly see the bolts and i got a lot more space to work with it.

I use hammer and a screwdriver, punch on one side of the bolt's head several times to make it turn a little anti-clockwise until it open up. Me myself quite surprise. i only spend less than 3 minutes to make it works.

now i can replace the whole ignition with the key with "new" one. i will change the shear bolts to another bolts which have philip head or allen key type.

i will post the picture here soon. thanks everyone.
By lypiz
#271869 I had never encountered this type of problem with key. If you are facing this types of problem then I would like to suggest you that please contact to the nearest automobile engineer they will guide you properly. Sometime it happens that we operate these problems as per our knowledge and in future we hangout in big problem. Technical engineer will check your vehicle properly and guide you that what to do in future if you feel the same problem again.
Last edited by lypiz on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RWMIII
#271973 I seriously think that he locked the wheel and did not understand what he was being told.

So an Automotive Engineer is what mechanics are called in your area of the world? Interesting.