Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Clarkypoo
#223104 So my power steering has been leaking really bad but I've just been dealing with it and putting more fluid in. Well today I went about 35 miles to bigger town over. I filled it up before I left home and when I was getting ready ot leave best buy it was empty again. I drover for probably 40 minutes and 35 miles or so and it emptyed. So I went to Autozone and talked to them. Some guy came out and looked at it and saw that the steering rack was saoked. Its gonna cost $300+ for a new rack and stuff. I don't have $300+. What are your guys thoughts? If I got to a junkyard I have to go about an hour to Indy to go to a good junkyard. What do you guys think my options are?
By goblin
Clarkypoo wrote:So my power steering has been leaking really bad but I've just been dealing with it and putting more fluid in. Well today I went about 35 miles to bigger town over. I filled it up before I left home and when I was getting ready ot leave best buy it was empty again. I drover for probably 40 minutes and 35 miles or so and it emptyed. So I went to Autozone and talked to them. Some guy came out and looked at it and saw that the steering rack was saoked. Its gonna cost $300+ for a new rack and stuff. I don't have $300+. What are your guys thoughts? If I got to a junkyard I have to go about an hour to Indy to go to a good junkyard. What do you guys think my options are?

i believe there's a repair kit for the rack. but finding a good used one would be easier to work with..
By dbrooks
#229588 X2
By bumpin
#230107 if the steering racks have scratches try having the entire shaft plated with chrome then change all the oil seals etc (repair kit)

sometimes this process works not 100% guaranteed though