Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Brenters151
#205892 so here goes. i have a 92 civic ex-v, d16z6 standard. all stock.

i posted a few weeks ago about doin a head gasket job;

so i got as far as the exhaust manifold comin off, got 3 bolts off the intake mani took off the dizzy and right after that i realized that i hadnt taken the ground off my battery, super dumb i know and im paying for it now. and i also snapped the wire off my coolant temp sensor. so stripped it down a lil and i wrapped that back on the piece it was plugged onto.
so i got this far and a mechanic buddy of mine told me i was safer just to put it back together cause it didnt look like the head gasket was the issue.
so i put it back together all good to go. went to start it up and it started up idling really rough and would do so up until i revved to about 3500-4000 rom then it would level off and be fine.
so i just couldnt figure out what the deal was, my dad had his mechanic from work come look at it and he tested everything and there was power everywhere then he tried moving the dizzy, changing the throttle and such and it just straight up died, it'll turn over but no spark.
ive tried putting another dizzy on it, i bout a new ignition module and upper coil for the old one, put that in and still nothing. today i just picked up a new ecu and no change.
also theres no power comin to or out of the top connector on the dizzy itself.
i also did just test the ecu it gave me a code 6, being the coolant temp sensor i just tried to connect it better but still got the code, maybe i need to pick up that lil connector piece somewhere.

basically im just curious if anyone has any answers for me. got no spark, she turns fine, the timing is bang on. im at the point of gettin it towed to the honda dealership.

any insight would be much appreciated thanks so much.
By asianrob
#205913 is it getting fuel?
By teal_dx
#205914 I'd make sure that thermostat ground is 100% before doing anything else. Something that simple can cause problems if it's not right. There's at least a few important ground wires coming off of the thermostat housing. :thumb:

Just wondering, what symptoms made you want to replace the head gasket to begin with?
By Brenters151
#206044 so it is getting fuel for sure, checked that already.

and yeah im gonna get that sensor tomorrow out of a wrecker. see if that works, thought just maybe thats what it might be, but its super wierd if that would be the cause of no spark.

well i have a 92 ex sedan too and i had a blown head in it last fall. just thought i was gettin all the symptoms again. thought i had oil in my reservoir but i think it was just sediment and im pretty sure i can smell coolant in my exhaust, along with heat spikes but that might be the thermostat or the water pump. so ill figure that out once i get this beast running again.

gonna test some wires right now and do some more searching. but hopefully tomorrow works out with the sensor.
By breez
#206158 One problem I caame across that was similar to that was my clutch starter switch. Its located under the dash and is actuated when the pedal is pushed down. I just super glued some rubber from an insole since the factory rubber was long gone. You could try to press it with your finger while you try to start it to just see if its that . Just my 2 cents :thumb:
By Beatdowncivic
#206205 might want to check out your main relay too i had a problem of mine starting fine then it would die and then it would crank but not start and i just had to keep trying it by turning it on then off and then back on again have someone get in the car and turn the key to the on position and duck back down by the rear wheel on the driver side and see if you can hear the fuel pump prime, if not then it could possibly be your main realy which is right under your steering wheel, you cant miss it.. it should be quite a bit larger then the rest of them and say"main relay" on it.. try that