Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Mike437
#188814 Hey guys, need some advice here. Long story short I am a college student and once I am done with the semester I was going to buy a ninja 250 to learn on but, yes you may laugh, my mother said she would kick me out of the house if I bought one.

So now that I am not buying that I have max $1500 to spend. Current setup is 94' lx: 110k D15b7 w/ just intake and exhaust. The body is in great shape, no rust, but paint is fading. The question is what would you do if given this car and $1500?

Should I:
-Do a mini-me swap and possible small turbo setup?
-Engine swap? Probably can only afford a B18b.
-Respray?

or anything else you think, feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks!
By AutoXCivic
#188818 I remember being a poor college student. Honestly I'd save that $1500 and not do anything with the car.

But if you are hell bent on doing something ... there's some things we need to know. Are you going to be doing the work yourself? That's probably the biggest factor that will affect your ability to get anything done within a budget.

Either way for $1500 turbo is not happening ... probably. And since you are a poor college student ... probably not the best idea.

The mini-me swap can be done for less that $1500 easy, and you may have enough left over to do an EX/Si tranny swap. I've done this to my car and it definitely increases the "wheeee" factor a lot. (94 LX sedan).

Or you could do a budget suspension build. Check out this thread for some suggestions http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=14008
Last edited by AutoXCivic on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By berg89
#188819 Id build the motor. Then if u have a couple bucks left over drop it on accessories for ur car.
By Mike437
AutoXCivic wrote:I remember being a poor college student. Honestly I'd save that $1500 and not do anything with the car.

But if you are hell bent on doing something ... there's some things we need to know. Are you going to be doing the work yourself? That's probably the biggest factor that will affect your ability to get anything done within a budget.

Either way for $1500 turbo is not happening ... probably. And since you are a poor college student ... probably not the best idea.

The mini-me swap can be done for less that $1500 easy, and you may have enough left over to do an EX/Si tranny swap. I've done this to my car and it definitely increases the "wheeee" factor a lot. (94 LX sedan).

Or you could do a budget suspension build. Check out this thread for some suggestions http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=14008

Thanks for the advice, I may just save the money. But if I were to do anything it would be by me and a friend of mine who owns his own tuner shop, always nice to have connections. The mini me swap is looking to be the winner so far, I am just tired of the lack of power my car has when compared to my friends cars, 240's, gsr's etc.
By AutoXCivic
Mike437 wrote:
AutoXCivic wrote:I remember being a poor college student. Honestly I'd save that $1500 and not do anything with the car.

Thanks for the advice, I may just save the money. But if I were to do anything it would be by me and a friend of mine who owns his own tuner shop, always nice to have connections. The mini me swap is looking to be the winner so far, I am just tired of the lack of power my car has when compared to my friends cars, 240's, gsr's etc.

The mini me is great ... about an extra 40whp. That long tranny that's mated to the b7 is going to limit you a little bit though. You can usually find them in good condition for under $200. I would seriously look into this if you want your car to be faster. That being said I haven't raced my car (haven't gotten to a track yet) against any GSRs or 240s but still in our light ass cars 120 whp is pretty nice. Way better than the 80 from the b7.