Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By umana12
#187533 shuold i stick to my jdm d15b or get a b16?? opinions appreciated
By That One Dude
#187540 B16B if you can get a hold of one. B16A or A2 otherwise. Two cams is better than one. You can adjust the cam timing on the hot and cold side to a furher extent than with a single cam.
By JUICE
#187544 between those 2, D15B for sure...

If your gonna do a swap, get a B18A/B/C, any of the B18's are better than the B16 IMO!
By AutoXCivic
JUICE wrote:between those 2, D15B for sure...

If your gonna do a swap, get a B18A/B/C, any of the B18's are better than the B16 IMO!

Agreed, if you are going to swap anyway ... get a b18.

Otherwise I vote stick with the D ... dollar for dollar the D will be faster on the budget than swapping to a B.

When you start looking at making crazy power ... yeah go for the B. But if you just want a quick DD/Track car and aren't looking to break through any power ceilings stick with the D. One cam is simpler to work on.
By eg84dr
JUICE wrote:between those 2, D15B for sure...

agreed its cheaper and a bigger motor and more reliable imo
By TrailerTrash
eg84dr wrote:jdm d15b for sure b16s are super over rated
:thumb: :thumb:

right here ol chap
By andyisftw
#187609 jdm one five for sure! if you swap, go boosted LS or GSR. the jdm d's are just cool motors. 8)
By 95egcivic
#187612 i would have to agree the jdm1.5 are better
By forcefedEG
JUICE wrote:If your gonna do a swap, get a B18A/B/C, any of the B18's are better than the B16 IMO!

ive had a stock turbo LS with b2o cams and a ported head, and now i have a stock turbo b16 with b16 cams and a ported head, and both engines had ls gears w/LSD, nothing was changed but the engine (both had compareable parts), i would take the b16 over the LS any day of the week, not saying the ls was junk or didnt run good, but the b16 has waaaaay more top end, the ls seemd to drop off mid way thru 3rd, where the b16 pulls clear thru 4th gear and just wants more... it pushs my speedo clear out of numbers and starts going back to zero by the top of 4th...

for what it is i like a b16 :thumb: ive had quite a few of them impress me.... even N/A ones or ones with a small shot of nitrous...
By chrono404
#187683 I love single cams. Especially the D16z6, JDM D15B, and the ZC VTEC(jdm z6 basically). They are a good solid motor that stands up to abuse. They are also very easy to work on.

What i love most about them is if the worst case sincerio happens and a rod goes through the block(wont happen unless you cant identify when your rod bearings go bad) You can get a new bottom end super cheap. Swaping the head over is also super easy, you don't even need to mess with the cam.

The amount of money spent on swaping to a B Series could be very easily spent on making your single faster, I.E. Cams, Turbo, etc.

The above stated, I am currently in the twin cam camp, My Current Daily Driver(01 Integra LS) has its stock B18b in it, My Toy Hatch has a 99spec JDM B20b w/ a B16 transmission. Its tons of fun and I love its torque. However I do miss the simplicity and cheapness of D Series.
By forcefedEG
chrono404 wrote: My Toy Hatch has a 99spec JDM B20b w/ a B16 transmission. Its tons of fun and I love its torque.

its a bit off this topic but i too had a b20 im my hatch that has the turbo b16 in it now, i had the usdmb20b with a 00 si trans, with the low gearing and gobs of torque it was way fun :thumb: :thumb:
By umana12
#187711 dang its pretty hard to decide..what if im not gonna go turbo just N/A
By jmeara
#187726 if your going to go NA, B16 is a great motor but is limited. Don't get me wrong the D15 is a great motor but anything B series runs circles around it. Whether its a B20 or LS with a short gear tranny or B16/B18c it will make you happy. Compare their stats of flywheel hp and make your decision from there. OBD1 B16=170hp-D15B=130hp. Torque is about the same.
By jmeara
#187727 No one really looks at H22 that much either. The weight difference is not significant. You get 200hp to start with. Tranny is pretty short and if its not short enough theres always H2B. Torque is higher than any B series motor and is right on par with the K series.