Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Zaraki89
#183102 quick question i have a 93 civic lx and no matter what i do i cant get it to go past 95 mph or 97 on a good downhill, my question is do the civics have a speed limiter in them?
By TrailerTrash
#183103 your car probably just doesnt have the balls to get it past 97mph.
By 99cx
#183106 are you maxing out RPM when your trying?
doers it feel like it just cuts out when you hit that speed?
your car may just be in need of a tune up?
By Zaraki89
#183110 when it gets to 95 it just stops accelerating it feels like it wants to but it just doesnt
By forcefedEG
#183112 ive never seen one that has, but i know in different tunning programs you can turn the speed limiter off, so it may verywell have one... i have never had a honda with a stock computer have a speed limiter... maybe ive just never been fast enough to hit it, but ive ran well over 120 with cars with stock computers in them
By Zaraki89
#183114 ok thanks, i know it needs a tune up so ill try that then the tunning programs, also it is an automatic but idk if that would have anything to do with it or not :???:
By forcefedEG
Zaraki89 wrote:ok thanks, i know it needs a tune up so ill try that then the tunning programs, also it is an automatic but idk if that would have anything to do with it or not :???:

it may idk, ive never gone over 80 or so in an auto honda lmao :?
By marquisdee1018
#183121 I have an auto and have done more than 100 on the track before. You might just need a tune up.
By Zaraki89
#183134 yea it looks like that might be the problem ill get a tune up an see if that fixes it thanks for the help
By tigerafro
#183309 maybe upgrade some parts? intake, header, exhaust to get you those few extra mph?
By 92egdxhatch
#183316 well the lx comes with a d15b7, not a very good engine for power, add an automatic to that it doesnt equal a high top speed. ive done over 120 in my b7 mated with a cx 5spd.
By Trang
#183330 I was thinking the same thing on the speed limiter. I hit roughly 120 on my d15b non vtec and the gas cut out, felt like the computer shut it off. I still had several thousand more rpms to go too :( (on a track of course)
By AutoXCivic
#183369 IIRC the speed governer is actually set at 112 MPH before it cuts fuel. I'm not sure that our speedos are completely accurate. Could be wrong. Though many factory limiters are set at 112.

I know I got my b7 over 100 with only SRI ... speedo read 110ish again not sure how accurate the speedos are up that high.
Last edited by AutoXCivic on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Zaraki89
#183372 ive put on a aem short ram intake and a cat back exhaust to see if it was a lack in power but it still would only go 95 an it seemed to be harder to get it to do it
By AutoXCivic
#183373 The SRI isn't doing a whole lot for you ... yes it flows a bit better than stock, but once the engine compartment warms up it's just sucking up a bunch of hot air. The limiting factor is probably your stock exhaust manifold ... you may have opened up the airflow past the cat ... but your choke point is before that, you may want to get a proper header as well to compliment the free flowing exhaust. It's like dumping water through the small end of a funnel ... yeah that back end is huge, but it can only flow as much as will fit through the small bit.