Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By lveg8
#165628 my dd, 95 sedan with 170k stock d15b7, may need a new tranny, looking for 200whp $1500 budget.

what are my options at this budget?

build the d15b7 and boost?

dohc zc and boost? how much do i have to build for boost?

b20 swap? not 200whp

i want to keep the build in my budget and also keep ac/ps.

any suggestions would help me choose my build. pros/cons, need some feekback.

my daily
By asianrob
#165632 can do an LS motor and boost

or if you can plan it right.. build an all motor set up.. it'll cost a little more than 1500 tho
By lveg8
asianrob wrote:can do an LS motor and boost

or if you can plan it right.. build an all motor set up.. it'll cost a little more than 1500 tho

the key is keeping ac/ps and staying within my budget.
By asianrob
lveg8 wrote:
asianrob wrote:can do an LS motor and boost

the key is keeping ac/ps and staying within my budget.

you can keep AC and PS even if you go boost and you can deff keep ac and ps if you go all motor
By lveg8
#165686 so if i went ls swap and boost, ill be able to keep ac/ps and be in my budget? i know all motor ill keep ac/ps, because in my all motor b20vtec i kept my ac/ps, but i barley has room for boost. this is the reason i was asking about the zc swap with boost or just building my motor and boosting it.
By AutoXCivic
lveg8 wrote:my dd, 95 sedan with 170k stock d15b7, may need a new tranny, looking for 200whp $1500 budget.

what are my options at this budget?

build the d15b7 and boost?

dohc zc and boost? how much do i have to build for boost?

b20 swap? not 200whp

i want to keep the build in my budget and also keep ac/ps.

any suggestions would help me choose my build. pros/cons, need some feekback.

my daily

Building a d15b7 is not going to be easy ... there isn't a lot of aftermarket support for them. Currently there is one set of forged rods out there but they're $700 a set, and as far as I know there aren't any forged pistons (could be wrong though). There is a set of rods in the works that should be around $300 IIRC.

That being said a quick way to get more power out of the car (which will bring it to about 120 whp) is to do a mini me swap. Find yourself a z6 head (dizzy, mani, etc) and a p28 ecu and swap it on there (you'll have to wire vtec). CR will be about 10:1 but that's still totally boostable with a good tune. I'm doing the same thing ... shooting for about 180 - 190ish whp. This is about the limit of stock internals.

If you can do the work yourself ... boost the little bastard. You can easily piece together a turbo kit for about $1500. Mine is ending up costing more than that, but I went for a lot of new parts. You can get an ebay turbo kit for pretty cheap, just be sure you get a cast manifold and run an oil restrictor on the turbo so you don't blow the seals.

Boosted D>B swap
By lveg8
#168718 some i have decided to go with the obd1 dohc zc for my swap and see if i can piece together a turbo kit. i think i will be just in my budget going that route.
By That One Dude
#168834 GSR swap anyone?

There are a few full GSR swaps around Dallas Craigslist right now that are going for $1500 for the engine, tranny, axles, and engine harness. Granted, you'd need a P72, but those are a dime a dozen and cost roughly $100 around Dallas.

I know you're not in Dallas, but I'm just giving you an idea of what else you could do with some shopping.
By edcortez9
#168841 im leanin towards ls too... very good engine and nice when you boost it!!! :thumb:
By dawg316
#168945 200hp is just a number. dont try to set a number then reach it. build something fun that suites you. on your budget i would probably do something with a d-series. either low boost on stock internals or 50 shot of wet spray. both tuned. cheap , fast, and some what reliable :D
By AutoXCivic
dawg316 wrote:200hp is just a number. dont try to set a number then reach it. build something fun that suites you. on your budget i would probably do something with a d-series. either low boost on stock internals or 50 shot of wet spray. both tuned. cheap , fast, and some what reliable :D

Having a number gives you a goal to reach for. Once you have a goal it is easier to peice together what you need. Another way to do a build (sometimes a better way) is to figure out what purpose the car is going to serve and peice together stuff with that in mind. But hp numbers are a good place to start.
By AutoXCivic
lveg8 wrote:some i have decided to go with the obd1 dohc zc for my swap and see if i can piece together a turbo kit. i think i will be just in my budget going that route.

I'd tend to shy away from the DOHC d-series, there is almost no aftermarket support for them. They're an ok engine, but a d16z6 or maybe an a6 would be better because they are very well supported. You'll be able to find parts for them (z6 and a6) cheaper and easier than the DOHC ZC.

You should really look at the z6 and a6 (JDM SOHC ZC engines, vtec and non-vtec respectively) especially if you plan on building the engine later as the forged internals and other aftermarket parts are much more prevalent for the SOHC D series motors.