Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Rawr
#152402 Hi, I'm new to the forum =]
Let me share with you my story

It all began one day when I was on my way to the city at 7:45AM, sitting in rush hour traffic in my 94 GSR that I decided that I couldn't take much more of bumper to bumper traffic in a manual. That's when I looked into my garage and saw the good old 1995 civic that had front end damage from my Dad's mis-hap on the freeway. After carefully analyzing the car (after it been sitting there for a year), I realized that the damage didn't seem all too bad. I took some pictures and sent them to a body shop. $1900 they wanted. "The hell with that!", I said. "I'm going to strip it down myself and send it to the shop for welding on a new support!" And that's where my adventured started.

So far this is what I have

She started out like this

Then I ripped off the bumper to inspect furthur damages.

Then I went to the junk yard and found a like-new hood and scuffed up (But straight!) EG SiR bumper for 90 bucks.

So far the things that are structurally wrong (or need attention) with the car are:
-The upper sides of the fenders are slightly rolled in, throwing it out of alignment with the turn signals and hood.
-The bent Radiator support is blocking the bolt with access to the internal headlight housing fastener bolt.
-The internal bolts holding the bumper reinforcement onto the Rad support are blocked by the spot-welded supports on the bumper reinforcement.
-The Radiator fan housing is bent in slightly, but the fan spins
-The signal light clips on the side have been snapped off
-The intake inlet might have been bent from what I can see

Today I removed the internal debris guard and loosened a whole bunch of bolts, only to discover that head light housings and bumper reinforcement will need some extra help in being detached.

Sometime within the next two weeks I will have my greasy hands on a new Bulk-head from Honda. And after another junk yard run, maybe an absorber and reinforcement (if I am lucky).

So my plan as of now is to strip it down to the radiator support, and roll it over to the body shop and have them bang back out the fenders, spot weld on the new Radiator Support, and align back up the lights, hood and bumper. I am hoping by doing it this way...supplying the parts and stripping it down for them, I can cut the amount of money they wanted to charge me by a somewhat astronomical amount.

For now, input/suggestions are well obliged.

I need tips on removing the sneaky inner bolts on the Bumper reinforcement and getting to the inner head light housing bolts!
By Classiccarsrule85
#152403 well you could take a angle grinder with a cutting wheel and cut yoursef a nice hole to reach the inner bolts for the beam. and since your replaceing teh core support just cut access points for the other bolts as well that you need to get rid of. tho when cutting always think smart since the less cutting the less time you gotta work on cutting = more time on other stuff.....nice job tho saving a good ole civic from what could of been well death
By Rawr
#152405 Thanks very much for the input "classiccarsrule85". I'll look into the cutting wheel-see if my neighbor (who is indeed an ex mechanic) has tools which can help me.

As of now, These are my problem areas.

This is the right and left inner bumper reinforcement beam bolts. Those supports on the left/right of them, are welded too close and bent at a near 75 degree angle, making it impossible to get a wrench on them.
Right
Left

And this is the bolt (I am pretty sure) holding the head light housing down.
The fit is too tight to get a tool in between the rad support and headlight...and the hole on top to fit a torque wrench straight down-is bent just to the point of no return (I cant get the wrench on the bolt)
By Rawr
#152666 Okay...So today I managed to remove the bumper reinforcement, head light housings, horn, turn signals, brackets, some tubes etc. etc. Here is the carnage

Check out the bent fender =[
By Rawr
#152667 More updates soon..
By josephsantos
#152669 Goodluck with the rebuild! It would make a very good DD.
By Apexracing
#152687 looks like it should just be a matter of welding the new parts in, the suspension is ok right?
By Rawr
#152692 I have no idea about the suspension. The car hasnt been driven faster than 10MPH in over 12 months. So, there are things that will probably need replacing.
By chrono404
josephsantos wrote:Goodluck with the rebuild! It would make a very good DD.

x2

Good Luck on your rebuild. Looking forward to seeing this front clip replacement. :thumb:
By Rawr
#152952 haha thanks chrono. Well I'm ordering the new bulk-head and bumper reinforcement tomorrow night after pay check clears. More goodies coming soon <3
By asianrob
#152956 its coming along nicely.

are you going to keep it the original colour?
By Rawr
#153223 I think I want to paint it Green. it's growing on me

Anyways, the body shop up here wanted $500 to weld on a new radiator support and align it. Does that sound like a rip off?
By Mr. Pink
#153256 no thats a good pice, because most body shops charge $90-120/hr for labor
By Rawr
#155403 UPDATE!

I got a care package from Honda today :)

Setting up appointment with the body shop. More updates soon!
By Punksz6
#155726 Nice man can't wait to see it all done up!! :thumb: