New members NEED to read the following:
'Rules & Guidelines' 'Using the Search Feature' 'Where should I post my Topic?' before posting on this forum!
By NoyBubble
#6908960 Hello,

I haven't been on this forum since 2011 but at the time I had a 95 CX Hatch with a D15B7 that I was doing a mini restoration on. I ended up selling the car to a shop that wanted the shell for a time attack project. I have no idea if it ever got to the track or not but I hope someone was able to enjoy it.

Many years later I am back with an EJ8, I know it's not an EG but it has a D15B engine, and I figured this was the best place to come to learn more about the D-Series motors and find answers to questions.

I am super confused about certain things with this engine.. and hopefully I will figure it out on this forum.

Here are some pics and info.
Block Stamp: D15B
Head Stamp: P08-1
OBD II
Top image is when I bought it, bottom is after I have fiddled with it.
By NoyBubble
#6908972 This is how it looked a week ago..

I spent the past week doing some body work, colour doesn't match 100% but it's better than rust. Did it in the driveway and used rattle cans. :P

Just a temp. fix to get it through the winter for the most part. Will be buying replacement patch panels and doing it properly next year.

So far in the year and a bit I have had the car.. I have done mostly maintenance that it desperately needed. Replaced the ignition switch, spark plugs, wires, oil change, properly fitting intake, shifter bushings, rotors and pads, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods. Popped in a Megan racing short throw, 1320 uel header and a yonaka cat back. Bought a set of drag dr20s 16x7 for the time being until I can get the wheels I want (Zelda Tri Force or Super Advans) I have a thing for tri spoke wheels.

Next year I plan on lowering it on Teins, replacing the bushings in the rear end, maybe go the ASR rear sway route with lower control arms.

Leaving the motor alone, it runs well as it is. I do want to build a spare d16z6 or find another d15b for boost but nothing insane, just make it a bit more fun as a daily.

That's about it for now. It took me a while to like the car but the more i start de-stocking it, the more I like it. I do love the cheap parts, fuel, and the reliability is fantastic.

My first question, why does this car have two dip sticks? I can't seem to find a straight answer. They both have oil, i keep them both fairly equal on the stick just because I really don't know so why let one or the other go dry? It's a 5spd, so it wouldn't be a tranny dipstick? I didn't think Honda's had tranny dipsticks in manuals... My last one didn't, and it was basically the same motor just non vtec.

Any input would be appreciated.
By teal_dx
#6908975 Nice work - a little spray paint makes a big difference :thumb:

For the 2 dipstick thing... Your engine is a mutt of newer and older parts. 92-95 EG civics have the dipstick on the front of the block, behind the header, while the 96-00 EK's had it over on the front cover of the engine.
By NoyBubble
#6908981 Thank you for the kind words and answering my question about the two dipsticks, my other question is.. what one do I read ? Should I just keep monitoring both and keeping the levels where they should be?
By NoyBubble
#6909128 Well it has been a while... Much has been done since my last update, so this may be a long post. I may repeat myself but that's okay :P

So car has a JDM D15B VTEC engine with a Y8 IM and I believe a Y8 Oil Pump (Hence the two dipsticks). I haven't trudged down that path as it all seems to work, so why bother. As soon as I go investigate, it will open up a whole new can of worms and we all know how that goes so I have left it alone. Aside from the temporary body work that I did around the time I updated previously... I have acquired proper patch panels and will be doing a real fix on it as soon as I am able.

So...
1320 UEL Header w/ Yonaka Hi Flow Cat w/ Yonaka Cat back 2.5"
1320 CAI converted to a longer short ram (I plan to make my own box for it at some point)
OEM Honda Slave Cylinder & Master Cylinder
NGK Spark Plugs & Wires, New Distributor, Alternator, Battery & Starter
Yonaka Rad w/ shroud & slim fan
Racing bees Strut bar
Valve Cover painted Wrinkle black
--
Drag DR20s w/ Nankang NS2 Tires
Yonaka Coilovers
OEM Honda Upper & Lower ball joints, Sway links, Tie Rods
New CV Axles
CTR Front Lip
Black Projector Headlights w/ 4300K HIDs
Smoked Tail lights
Chalkboard painted hood
New Windshield w/ OEM Honda Molding (Molding needs to be installed still)
Rain visors
Removed Tint
--
I have a few projects on the go with the car right now which include properly doing the body with patch panels. Those just came in the other day so I look forward to getting the time to do that.

I picked up a spare transmission as the input shaft bearing is rather noisy and the transmission could use a rebuild anyway so I am going to swap in the spare with a new clutch, flywheel, etc. and rebuild the other one myself, great learning adventure anyway. I recently just degreased it and I was surprised at how fast it worked, took maybe 2 hours max to do everything, prep, etc.

I also grabbed spare trailing arms to rebuild, when I did the coilover install I had issues with the rear end being rusty and seized so it all needs to be redone anyway, so figured the best bet would just grab some cheap, good condition arms and put in new bushings, brakes and just make it as painless as possible.

Once I acquire a beater, I still plan on boosting a D16Z6 or a D15B. It will be a lot of fun.

I will try not to be such a stranger :P