Technical Topics specific to the Del Sol body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Gunner
#349003 I have a 1995 Sol without rust that is an auto and a 1993 Sol manual that is unmolested. I would like to swap most of the harnesses from the 93 to the 95 with the conversion. My question is can i just use the wiring harnesses from the manual dash and plug up all the connectors to avoid the jumping wires or do I need to replace the massive cabin wire, fuze boxes and all?
By teal_dx
#349014 While there are some differences in the cabin harnesses, it's not worth swapping the entire thing IMO. I don't know how different a del sol is from an EG/EJ civic, but you'll only need to run a few wires for the manual swap.

I have a pic online, it's from an EK but it's pretty much the same concept for a Del Sol.

This is the plug that connects to the auto shifter. An auto car will only start in Park. When the shifter is in Park, there's 2 fat wires on the plug that carry a current through the shifter.
When you unplug the shifter, you have to connect those 2 wires to be able to make the car start.

Here was my temporary solution. Downside is that if you forget, you can start with the manual tranny in gear and cause the car to leap forward, into an object.
That is why manual cars have a safety switch on the clutch pedal, so that you must hold the clutch in when starting the car. To do the wiring 100% correct, those 2 wires must run to the clutch safety switch, so that they will only be connected when the clutch is pressed in all the way, touching the safety switch.

Next thing is your reverse lights. On an auto car, the refers lights are controlled through the auto shifter console. When you remove that, the shifter is no longer able to continue the circuit when in Reverse, which lights up the reverse lights. There's a plug on the manual transmission with 2 pins. A wire from each of those pins needs to run to the reverse wires on the switch. There's a reverse signal switch inside the manual tranny that completes the circuit when in the reverse gear. That way your reverse lights will light up automatically when you put the transmission into reverse gear.

That's it... run 2 wires from tranny to canter console and 2 wires from center console to clutch pedal switch and you're done with the wiring. 100x easier than changing the entire cabin harness :thumb:
By Gunner
#349017 I thank you for the fantastic pictures with a good point of reference. Turning more wrenches in the cabin and i have found a complete hack job of crap, so i guess it is on to complete tear down and rewire withthe donor cars harnesses. Oh well, i will learn my sol in and out and get a tuck at the same time... Now only if i was goood at body work!