Technical Topics specific to the Del Sol body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By HondaKitty
#288889 Hey All,

Searched around and couldn't really find anything that seemed quite like it was the same problem that I'm having, so here we go:

Car has been doing this since before I bought it 10/2011

Sharp left ONLY (usually when I do U-turns)--horrrrrible loud clicking sound from passenger side. Sounds very much like an axle click, however much louder and what seems like some rattling mixed in.

None of the CV boots on the car are torn, nor have they lost any grease at all- all clean and dry on trans and inside wheels.

When vehicle is lifted at a shop and wheels turned all the way left and wheel is spun by hand, there is NO longer any loud click. Only appears to do it with weight of vehicle on the wheels.

I have just replaced:

Ball Joints (upper and lower, both sides)
Wheel Bearings
Outer Tie Rods
Front Brakes (pads, rotors, hardware/shims)

There is no physically noticeable play in front wheels after replacing those parts.

I have a 1993 Del Sol S, Manual trans, Manual steering(factory, not deleted)

Options I can think of:

CV Axle is bad, just no torn boot. They DO look as if they are original.
Trans problem (noisy throwout bearing and it shudders a little if you don't feather the clutch JUUUSST right- I had initially summed it up as the clutch going out/not centered on flywheel)
Possibly a problem with rack and pinion?

If anyone else has had, or heard of, a similar problem, input would be appreciated. :pedosmiley2:
By HondaKitty
#288931 Had 142xxx when I got it. Now has 151xxx. I also thought it could be tire rub since its lowered a lil, but no signs of rubbing on tire or fender well that I can see.
By tegpower18
#289052 Could have had a boot replacement in the past and they just slapped a boot on it and didn't add any grease or anything
By Stank.EG6.Stay.Nasty
#289056 check if your inner tie rod has play.... i had the exact same problem.. changed out both axles and tie rods... had to get an alignment done though
By HondaKitty
#289914 Yeah, no play in the steering whatsoever. I'm gonna spend a bit more time on it and get a buddy to try an help me pin point exactly where the sound is coming from. I'll keep an update. Thx guys :D
By Apexracing
#289918 i'm going with axle as well. the only other thing that would make sense is the brake dust shield hitting, or your wheels have the wrong offset.
By HondaKitty
#293152 Hmmm... didnt think about the dust shield. I noticed it was really fubar'd when I was doing the brakes and wheel bearing. Kinda looked like a Yeti on 'roids was the last to work on the car, so yeah, haha.

Edit: Also, I have the Integra LS Mesh wheels, they came with it, havent looked into the offset on those, yet.
By Apexracing
HondaKitty wrote:Hmmm... didnt think about the dust shield. I noticed it was really fubar'd when I was doing the brakes and wheel bearing. Kinda looked like a Yeti on 'roids was the last to work on the car, so yeah, haha.

Edit: Also, I have the Integra LS Mesh wheels, they came with it, havent looked into the offset on those, yet.

Integra wheels are good to go. I have them on my coupe with zero issues.
By eg-guy
#293320 bad cv joint
By HagerSol
#324882 Check the inner side of your wheel for wear. My tie rods hit the rim at full lock because someone ordered teggy tie rods by accident instead of sol rods. I think that's what's causing your problem.