Technical Topics specific to the Del Sol body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By 95DohcEG
#188594 Hey guys long time no post, but I been looking in CF hoods and i think i want one.

Found a cool price on some VIS hoods, my question is how much weight am i really shaving off doing this to make it worth the price.

Anyone know?
By TrailerTrash
#188598 I really don't think you are saving enough weight to make it worth the money at all.

cut out all the crap on the underside of your stock hood and your good to go.
By fatcoupe
#188679 ya never honestly understood why people went CF hoods and trunks to loose weight, be diff if they cost $50..but some are crazy $$$...gotta admit though...CF hood, roof, and trunk on a del sol looks dam good...
By 95DohcEG
fatcoupe wrote:ya never honestly understood why people went CF hoods and trunks to loose weight, be diff if they cost $50..but some are crazy $$$...gotta admit though...CF hood, roof, and trunk on a del sol looks dam good...

This..is the problem at hand.
By 1updelsol
#188939 come over and you can hold the my stock one and the CF one we have here..
By chrono404
#189735 Carbon Fiber hoods are much lighter then OEM steel hoods. Its a crazy amount of difference bewteen the 99-00 EK CF hood and my OEM Delsol Hood.

Google shopping has Delsol OEM Style Carbon Fiber hoods for about 300. I know I will be getting one soon.
By carbon-fiber-hoods
95DohcEG wrote:Hey guys long time no post, but I been looking in CF hoods and i think i want one.

Found a cool price on some VIS hoods, my question is how much weight am i really shaving off doing this to make it worth the price.

Anyone know?

In my experience for a small car like the del sol the weight of a carbon fiber hood is usually under 20lbs, I'm guessing the stock hood is like 30lbs so it would be about a 10lbs weight savings.

Usually the benefit would be increased downforce depending if the design is functional , cooling and aesthetics. If you're buying it purely for the weight savings you'd have to really strip out quite a lot before it was a logical dollar/pound ratio.
By 1updelsol
carbon-fiber-hoods wrote:
95DohcEG wrote:Hey guys long time no post, but I been looking in CF hoods and i think i want one.

Anyone know?

In my experience for a small car like the del sol the weight of a carbon fiber hood is usually under 20lbs, I'm guessing the stock hood is like 30lbs so it would be about a 10lbs weight savings.

Usually the benefit would be increased downforce depending if the design is functional , cooling and aesthetics. If you're buying it purely for the weight savings you'd have to really strip out quite a lot before it was a logical dollar/pound ratio.

good info!
u always thought the same thing