Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By DJSilkie
#120481 A prologue for what I hope will be a long and wonderous story. A story about my civic.

Hey there fellow enthusiests. It's me again, not that I left a very large impression on my previous visit, (I posted a walkthough on how to make a perfect avi image using paint :P) Civic-EG definately left one on me. I havn't posted here in a long while and I'm starting with a hefty one.

Well, let's begin.

To start out the adventure I'll fill you in on the backstory. It all began when I first laid my eyes on this website...

I had owned my civic for quite some time now and I had already modded to my heart's content (and wallet's limit). I was researching something when I came across what I learned to be called a "wire tuck". ("OOoohh one of theeese" you all say) ;) Through the forces of fate and google I stumbled over a few random pictures of tucked and shaved bays and right into none other than the legend himself: Teal_dx., Now, I hold him 0% responsible for anything that has happened here. Despite the fact that he was my main influence, motivation, and step-by-step guide, I am the one who went through with the project.

I found teal_dx's walkthrough on how he did his shave and tuck. I was thrilled, I had found a legitimate step-by-step walkthrough on how I could DIY my way through a bad ass modification on my civic! I saved every pic he posted, printed every resource and diagram I could find of a 1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe AND a d15b7 non-vtec. After my information was stocked up, I went out to the shop...and...started clipping wires. >_<

I'm sure some of you remember the floods of repetitive posts I was feeding you asking for diagrams and questions about wiring harnesses. I pretty much mangled and destroyed my entire wiring harnesses in the engine bay and the dashboard. Awesome.

I ended up purchacing a wiring harness for the engine bay from a member here, wonderful deal and shipping was handled perfectly. I installed it, but never got beyond that.

And she sat there. My civic just collected dust. body-kit and all. After all my hard work, it sat there. Because of my own poor descicion and lack of experience. It sat there and did nothing for over a year.

Now, 12 months later, I still have the civic. Every piece. I rolled it out of the shop and into the sunshine and pondered what it was I was going to do with it. I had even tried to sell it. For a long time I was trying to get rid of it.

But now, I'm older, my life is back in order and I am ready to begin what will be (I hope) a long and pocket-burning project to get my civic EXACTLY where I want it.

I have it stripped and gutted. I am going to swap the interior for something NOT a civic (for uniqueness). I wanna swap some form of vtec into the bay and I WILL have over 500hp when I'm done. The civic will have black on black with blue trim EVERYWHERE. new rims, new paint, everything. Step by step. Project style.

Since I'm starting this project with such a heavy sight on the future, I will record its process from begining to end. I will need you're input and help though. I still don't know what kind of engine I want. What's the difference between the b20, b18, and b16? And a b20a as aposed to a b20c? Or what about all the body mods I don't know squat about? Can I get a songle body shop to do ALL the body mods I have in mind? In ONE session?

I'll have a lot of questions for all of you and a lot of pictures too :)

So that's that then. I hope you all good luck on future mods with your civics. And hope many of you will endure with me throughout alteast MOST of the project.
By egsedanguy
#120490 :shock: damn man like i just read a book lol. that shitty on you first atempt to do a tuck. but sounds like your ready to get this car up and moving. first were are the pics :eh: i wanna see what your working with :thumb: also 500hp? r u sure? the thing would be strait track car. i think swaping in a nice b18b or b18c with some internal mods with a sweet turbo setup would be more than sufficiante. even 300hp in a cars is a lot. and three were are the pics??? :lol: :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#120493 wow :shock:

i cant wait to see this build!!
500 horses! :woot:

good luck man
cant wait to see some pics!! :thumb:
By El Duende
#120496 That sounds like a very extensive plan. Hope you've thought it through. Best of luck and keep us posted!

BTW: You sound very enthusiastic and I don't want to bring you down, but I don't think any of the engines that you mentioned would hit 500 HP at the crank, even if they were boosted. I'd settle for 200 HP, since you've already reduced the weight on your ride. You'll be flying! Going past 300 HP on a FWD platform really isn't practical (At least from what I've heard) because of the limitations of traction off the line.
By DJSilkie
#120521 so many great responses already. And I understand what you are saying about the ponies. I have an Import Tuner mag with a Lude runnin' 500hp. With that and the combination of you tube videos featuring civics giving mustangs a run for their money, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to own one of these uber fast civics.

Pics will be up once I find my freakin blackberry...I took the pics on it now I can't find the damn thing! :x

but yeah, I will not stray from they vtec family and I will not settle for anything less than dual over-head cams. I want to turbo the engine and reach...oh lets say...350-400hp?
By MI_excoupe
#120692 Wow... I cant wait to see this build man...

350-400 ponies is definitely reachable... im not saying that its going to be easy to reach that but it will be possible for you to get it.

I wish you the best of luck with everything.
By egsedanguy
#120694 hey if its your goal for thos hp #s good luck. and im taking it your making a track car? i have seen 300-350 hp civics and tegs running low 12s high 11s. even then its an isue of grabbing traction. with 400-500 hp in a car that weighs under 2000lbs your goona need some wide ass slicks. i think what im getting at is, What is your overall goal for this build? not just hp #s but show, drag,auto-x,daily d?????
By DJSilkie
#120708 I was thinking along more the lines of a "hybrid" creation. It will have a beefy race worthy vtec pushed to it's limits. As well as many "show" aspects. However, it's my DD until I get another car.

However, there was a peculure theme I had in mind for the body. I was thinking of having the entire vehicle inside and out (cockpit, trunk, body, and engine bay) shaved and painted with a fresh coat of the paint I already have. Super shiney jet black.

I just think it'd be unique (and easy to clean lol) if the floor inside the civic was, instead of being the factory "warbbled sheet metal" look, sported a finish identicle to the exterior. A super high gloss jet black "shaved" look. Of course to go with this I would have the engine bay, trunk lid underside, and exterior of the body have the same method applied to it as well. Not to mention I've always loved the look of flared "widebody" fenders so I'd have those made too. A lot of body work to be done...

Before paint though, I'd have some shmancey roll bars mounted in there. Oooh that'd be hot with the black. I'd have them paint the roll bars electric blue to match the accent trim.

With the civic all shiney and naked, I would then go for the engine. I was thinking a b series motor? like I said before, it HAS to be vtec and dual overhead cam. I wouldn't turbo it quite yet because I want the engine to have some miles on it before I do any mods to it. Also, it needs to get running ASAP and my d16b7 I have now is considered toast.

Following closely behind the engine swap would be the interior. I plan on purchacing a fresh new dashboard and set of door panels. The dash and doors I have now are damaged and are from the base model. Which means I had no power windows or locks, and no tweeters. THIS car WILL have ALL of those things! I'd obtain a FLAWLESS pair of door panels and dashboard and group those with the rest of the panelling that will be returning to the vehicle, and I would have the same place that painted my car before, paint my interior panels with the same paint (or atleast the same finish) THEN my interior panels will be shiney and textureless like the rest of the car.

Followed by a few small things here and there (power window parts n such) I'd re-mount my seats and start saving for racing seats. Then I'd be left with the fun stuff like virt doors, airbags, turbo, stereo hook up, proper lighting. All kinds of stuff.

I may need you're guys' help on the order of things though. Should I go with the motor first? or get the whole thing shaved and painted?

Up next...PICTURES!
By DJSilkie
#120729 Alright well here are those pics I promised.

Starting with before. This was my DD for years.

And this is it now. Not all the was stripped but getting there. It needs to be prepped for painting. I'd bondo and paint it myself, but I don't trust myself after all that happened with the wiring harness.

By Ajax1989
#120731 damn man! i like that blue!!

:thumb:
By DJSilkie
94_jdm_ferio wrote:damn man! i like that blue!!

:thumb:

Yeah I do too. With my new civic (codenamed "Sonja Mk. II") The electric blue will still be there except it will be more like a light electric Yamaha blue. I want more gloss and shine from the blue. and just more gloss on the black.
By Ajax1989
#120735 nice, i had my interior black and blue with blue neons for a while
but now its black and white, but im thinkin bout goin back to black and blue :thumb:
By egsedanguy
#120736 well if your doing a daily for now i say do the body work and paint. build the motor on the side. once your ready for the motor then put the car under the knife and shave the bay and the paint it and do your wire tuck and then plant the engine in. :thumb:
By DJSilkie
egsedanguy wrote:well if your doing a daily for now i say do the body work and paint. build the motor on the side. once your ready for the motor then put the car under the knife and shave the bay and the paint it and do your wire tuck and then plant the engine in. :thumb:

I'm not sure if you caught the part about my d16b7 I have now being toast or
not. But my civic is currently un-drivable. it has been for some time. The only way I will drive this car is if I purchace and install a new motor and tranny. And I need the bay shaved and painted before I mount the enine.

I still need to know how much a new vtec dual overhead cam honda engine and new tranny with installation is gonna cost me.