Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By skrublife
#120098 ok. i had my timing belt snap on me and i put a new one on but the guy who helped me thought he knew what he was doin and off set it just a hair so it lags just a bit. i dont want to take it apart and redo it the right way (witch i was tryin to tell him how to do in the first place, but u know the type always gotta be right) so i have been adjusting the distributer a lil here and there but nothin gets it right on. so am i missing somethin or should i just say fuck it and redo it again? and if i do that is there any tips on how to MAKE sure it is right befor i put it all back together? Or i have a timing light but i dont know where to aim it at? I have a 1.6l v-tec. any help would be awsome. thanks
By teal_dx
#120137 the easiest short cut to avoid taking everything apart would be to get an adj cam gear. You'll only need to remove your upper timing belt cover to install.

Or if it is off by a tooth, just have someone hold in the tensioner to give enough slack to slip the belt off the cam gear and rotate it a tooth then slip the belt back on.
By ExCoupe94
#121835 sounds to me like you just need to adjust the distributor unless of course your off a tooth. Attach the timing light clip to the #1 cylinder spark plug wire (the one furthest from the dizzy), and of course pos and neg. then aim your light down at the harmonic stabilizer (crankshaft pully) and there should be three lil' triangles making what would be comparable to the sight down the barrel of a gun aiming right at the crankshaft at a certain angle. Upon closer inspection of the harmonic stabilizer you'll find "timing marks" wich are surprisingly visible when using your timing light. Try to line up the sight with the middle mark on the pully manipulating its position by adjusting the distributor, it can get pretty tricky to get it exact. My advice is tighting up those dizzy bolts ever so slightly that it'll barely budge with the tap of a hammer and then u just give it a little tap tappity tap :woot: