Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By b16ajj
#87542 alright so i just bought a ej1 from a guy it has a b16a and its running an ebay chipped p28... just wanting to make sure that it is supposed to be running a p30??? and it also has a small ticking under the hood at around 3000 rpm's anyone know what the hell that is?
By smokinsoljah420
#87545 Um I'm pretty sure a p28 would be ok as it it vtec right, also ticking from where? You said from the engine but where exactly? check your oil levels asap, shit id check all liquid levels with any new(to me) car.
By b16ajj
#87590 as with all cars and civics i have owned i did... and again all levels are sound. the ticking sounds to be valve train. very slight and can only be heard during acceleration. and usually between 2800 to 4000 rpm.

and on a second note. the p28 ecu is setup for a single cam vtec and not necessarily a two stage. this i know. i am not great with ecu's and the electronics side of cars, engine work i can hold my own. its just a ticking i have not heard out of a civic before. so i figured if anyone here would know what it could be.

and third if the p28 ecu was meant for a dohc vtec car wouldnt it have come that way from the factory! just a thought. i mean that is the reason dohc del sols and the sir had the p30 and the ex si and all other sohc models had the p28
By Greasedmonkey
#87613 Do a valve adjustment. That might get rid of the ticking.

For the ECU, if it is chipped for a sohc VTEC motor it is not correct. You need to get either a p30 or chip for a b16a.

P28 ecu is the d16z6 ecu. its just a popular one to chip.
By b16ajj
#87804 thank you! that is what i thought and i went and bought a p30 last night but i do appreciate the ACCURATE info that you dropped in cause getting false information on a subject that could cost someone their car or a lot of money fixing things kinda sucks.
By MASTERBUILDER
#87972 i would rather run the p28 on chrome, since its already chipped i'd get a tuned base map and throw that chip in the p28...in other words you have better tuning features with the p28,
By chrono404
MASTERBUILDER wrote:i would rather run the p28 on chrome, since its already chipped i'd get a tuned base map and throw that chip in the p28...in other words you have better tuning features with the p28,

x2

Local tuning shops here would reflash your chip and give you a p30 basemap for free. Someone local for you might do the same.
By 3G_RUNN3R
#88003 I'm running a B16 00 Si swap in a 95 coupe....
I'm not a pro on honda tuning, my coupe came with a p72 in it an runs ok with it. I took it out an ran a stock p28 it ran bad ass..... for a single ecu, it ran smoother and i got better gas mileage with it. I sold the p28 cuz a shop told me i would have engine failure if i kept it in. After doing some research i should have kept it. The p28 is preferred more with swaps and chipping.

i would rather run the p28 on chrome, since its already chipped i'd get a tuned base map and throw that chip in the p28...in other words you have better tuning features with the p28,

I agree with MASTERBUILDER , i would run it on chrome..
By b16ajj
#88845 well now that i have the p30 in my idle has gotten horrible. it was way high before and now all it does is go from 800 or so to 1350 and it is running ok during normal run. and i wasn't having that problem with the chipped p28. so i think i am going to put it back in and have it retuned. i cleaned the iacv would anyone know why it would be doing this odd idle. i checked for vacuum lines and they all seem to be in.