Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By asianrob
#64997 nothing happens when you take off the power steering. i have my belt off for the longest time and nothing happened. it'd be almost the same as getting fittings and eliminating the PS.
By Omega Blaze
#65004 sum dude on another forum told me you will mess up ur ball joints doing that.
and that hitting a bump with fluid in ur p/s pump is bad..
just all kind of stuff.
i was just tryin 2 get insight on this matter.
By Omega Blaze
#65005 this is when i had it off.
Did i have the belt in the right place??Is Everything good??

By teal_dx
DC4rob wrote:it'd be almost the same as getting fittings and eliminating the PS.

the steering wheel will be much harder to turn than if you correctly eliminated power steering by converting to manual or installed a manual rack.

You're still forcing the fluid through the system & pump when you just take off the belt.

The power steering is not related to the suspension, so it will not wear out your ball joints.
By Omega Blaze
#65201 Well is there a way i can do it without taking out the rack?
By Omega Blaze
#65203 so i need a reservoir with a breather??
How can i make my own for less??
By Greasedmonkey
#65214 I just took the pump and belt off and that was it. Been that for about 6 years now. Had no problems. I will be converting it soon though. for the next motor.
By sdots
#65275 Just some quick info, no boiljoints are worn so I don't know what the other dude is on about, maybe a noob?

Basically with your belt off, you run the risk of increasing wear and tear on the power steering motor, this is connected to the steering knuckle and steering rack and forces hydraulic fluid in a lateral manner to move your track rod and ends. however it takes a very long time for it to fuck up :) so you shouldn't have to worry about it. To be honest there are benefits of not having power steering, but depends on why you don't want it?

If you want the steering to be stiffer and more responsive, go out and buy yourself a DC2 steering rack and steering knuckle and have somebody fit it for you :D it's what I'm doing soon and it's a lot better than the standard EG/EJ steering rack and to be honest you have more feel in steering in contrast.

all the best
By Omega Blaze
#65281 ^^^ ThAnkZ!
jUSt been hearing alot of diffrent things.
hard to believe just anything.
By sdots
#65324 no worries dude :)

Omega Blaze wrote:^^^ ThAnkZ!
jUSt been hearing alot of diffrent things.
hard to believe just anything.
By Omega Blaze
#65496 Alright everybody! check this out..

if i take the belt off, and keep the p/s fluid filled up,

should everything be good??
By sdots
#65598 Yup. But it wont be circulated through the system because you won't have the P/S pump connected.

Omega Blaze wrote:Alright everybody! check this out..

By Omega Blaze
sdots wrote:Yup. But it wont be circulated through the system because you won't have the P/S pump connected.

Omega Blaze wrote:Alright everybody! check this out..

And i'm assuming the belt is wat works the pump and makes the P/S fluid circulate through the system?!